What treat did your chickies get today?

Pics
You guys werent kidding about the warm oatmeal on a cold day!
D.gif
I was making eggs n oatmeal for breakfast so I made extra, one scrambled egg mixed with a bowl of hot oatmeal, they loved it! They had already had thier crumbles and some dandelions (another fav.), Then had perched back up cuz its cold outside I guess... I went into the coop and held the bowl for them and they ate every bit of it!(and let me pet them the whole time) just 2- 16week old girls who had ALREADY had a full breakfast ate enough for me to get full! amazing seeing 6 lbs of chicken eat a 1/2 lb. of food in one sitting! (they eat more than my 16lb. cat) NOW LAY ME SOME EGGS!
pop.gif

Last edited:
My chickens go mad for the warm porrage oats. Dh always makes it on cold mornings and he leaves some for the girls. I usually add a few extras that are about the place like Banana. Dh usually puts honey and cream in the porrage. When it goes to the girls I add crazy things like Greek Yogurt and prawns!!!!! Sometimes Tuna, left over bread or rice. It all ends up looking a bit of a right old scrambled mess. They just love it if it has tomato or grapes in it. Its like a big fat feast of a pudding for them on a cold day. I just upturn it on a plate and stand back to wait for the scrum!!!!!! Its sooo funny to watch because their beaks go white with the porrage mix and it splashes all over them in the fight! Then they find extra things like the grapes or a bit of banana and charge round the pen with everyone chasing them. It keeps them warm on a cold day and happy because they are running about and chasing eachother.

Oesdog

Carrot tops, celery and persimmon peel for breakfast treat.
This afternoon, I dug up and weeded the garden patch for sheet composting, so they got all the weeds (mostly oxalis). They were pretty happy chickens!

A handful of scratch with their pellets, pears, and bananas. They don't like bananas, but love pears.

Today I was able to give my girls several cabbage leaves, onion greens, a bit of tomato and block cheese, and some leftover Mexican food. What a bunch of garbage pails I am raising! They are less and less reticent about trying what I bring to them. Oh yeah, I also gave them some salsa.

my girls got ricotta cheese and cantaloupe...they LOVE ricotta cheese...not so much the cantaloupe

Back
Top Bottom