What treats do Black Cooper Marans like?

Sue1954

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
I welcome all comments, especially those who have Black Copper Marans. We have Buff Orpingtons, and Cinnamon Queens and BCM's. We have no problem feeding them treats and supplements to the Orpingtons and the CQ's. The Black Copper Marans eat good on their grower starter feed but they turn down all treats, raw or cooked turnip greens, they even turn down meal worms. The BCM's are healthy looking but the are very finicky eaters on everything but their grower feed. Does anyone know what the BCM's favorite treat is? Thanks in advance!

I've never had a BCM before but a flock's taste varies, so not everything BCMs like to eat will apply to all other Black Copper Marans. Have you tried fruits yet like apple, blueberries, and strawberries? My baby chicks go crazy for them.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, We'll try the fruits and keep searching, all chickens are different no doubt!

My girl likes everything and is always the first in line for treats.
My hubby gave her a large praying mantis...it never had a chance against her

Maybe they just aren't hungry when I offer turnip greens, meal worms, etc, they have had a full and clean feeders and waterers since they were hatched so I guess they are very content. I'll try all the things mentioned though to see if I can find something that thrills them. They are very active and interact with us and each other, very healthy looking. Can't wait until the copper color really starts to show thru more on the roos, they are only 9 weeks old! Thanks:)

I have 4 BCM pullets ranging from 7 to 9 weeks. Mine do not like a lot of the treats either, I have tried every vegetable and fruits. What they do like is watermelon, cantaloupe, blueberries, tomatoes, pasta and cooked green beans. I was very surprised when I fed them fresh corn from a cob and they would not eat it. Keep trying different things.

Back
Top Bottom