💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

I have a chicken run that is getting pretty old and boring for my chickens. I want to add tree branches, perches, stumps, etc. to make it fun for them. Right now, the young oak tree branches seem perfect, but I read that they are poisonous to chickens. Can somebody please tell me some chicken safe tree branches I can put in their run?? Or any other ideas to make it fun for them would be awesome, too!

Thank you is advance!

Cluckmecoop7

Hi all,

I have a chicken run that is getting pretty old and boring for my chickens. I want to add tree branches, perches, stumps, etc. to make it fun for them. Right now, the young oak tree branches seem perfect, but I read that they are poisonous to chickens. Can somebody please tell me some chicken safe tree branches I can put in their run?? Or any other ideas to make it fun for them would be awesome, too!

Thank you is advance!

Cluckmecoop7
You might read this article: http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml
If parrots and other birds can eat/chew on these types, I would imagine (I'm no expert though) that a chicken would be ok with it.

Mine are perfectly happy with their mango tree, both for the sturdy, shade providing branches to perch on or rest under, but also for the seasonal fruit that they provide. Sadly, you don't live in the right climate for them. Can you think of other fruit bearing trees that would coexist with your flock that would enjoy your colder climate? Apples maybe?

Mine are probably pine or maybe fir? Chickens won't eat or chew on perches though like parrots would, so the link earlier isn't quite as applicable when it comes to chickens.

I also have a weeping willow that provides shade for the run and the chickens enjoy eating the young leaves. In the fall the dried leaves and small branches get mixed in with my litter.

Back
Top Bottom