What Type of Bantam is this?

Lots of bantams from hatcheries are not pure bred. For example, most of the dutch bantams that hatcheries in the U.S. sell have been crossed with old english games. You should never expect to get show quality bantams from a hatchery.
Wow, thank you for this

Lots of bantams from hatcheries are not pure bred. For example, most of the dutch bantams that hatcheries in the U.S. sell have been crossed with old english games. You should never expect to get show quality bantams from a hatchery.
They don't directly mix them as far as I've seen though. More like a bird was put in that was an "oops" moment.

I agree that somewhere down the line quite a few of their breeds (more commonly seen in LF) have been mixed and then bred back out. I've seen it the most with Barred Rocks. Though now that we've seen their new "hybrids", I'm thinking they were already making those and just falsely advertising them as Rocks.

Therefore I call that "hatchery quality". I guess it boils down to semantics. If a bird clearly shows traits from a direct cross, I will label it a mixed breed. If a bird checks most boxes for a breed and is from a hatchery, I'll label it hatchery quality.

You should never expect show quality anything from a hatchery. Mixed or not.

Have you ever seen a Japanese bantam? This bird is far away from purebred standards. The tail looks good but feet, neck, comb and body type are not. He can be a cross or either a very low quality bird, probably the first
It’s got the right tail, shank color, comb type, and coloration. I don’t know what on earth makes you so vehemently sure that it is not pure.

Did the guy said that he is also from Virginia and I didn't see it? Sure no.
Anyway I don't understand why you use so aggressiveness to support your opinion. I said mine and you can't change it. No other answer to you on my part. Please respect the subject and don't answer nothing else to me, you will not receive any other answer. Goodbye
I think you are misunderstanding her tone. She is not trying to be rude. But tone is hard to read through text.

Hatcheries in the US supply feed stores, which she lives in the US so it is natural she doesn't think about the way other countries feed stores are supplied. The same way you were saying hatcheries and feed stores are completely different.

Here the birds are usually the same as they both originate from the hatchery.

Hatcheries don't sell mixed breed bantams. So if OP is from the US it is likely not a mixed bantam.

Hatcheries breed for quantity not quality so it will not be to the SOP. It will usually be "hatchery quality" which is low quality.

This bird has all the breed traits of a Japanese bantam, and if from a hatchery will not come close to meeting the SOP (you should look up what Murray McMurray is selling as barred bantam cochins these days.) Therefor it is a poor quality Japanese.

Could also be a white OEGB. Though it has the wrong skin color. Which isn't all too uncommon with hatcheries.

Cackle carries white. Though typically theirs are better quality than most.

Bantam sultans also have 5 toes as well as bantam faverolles (although this breed is rare in bantam)

When 2 short legged Japanese are bred you get half short legged, 1/4 long legged and 1/4 of them die in the egg/don’t hatch.

So either that Japanese bantam is a long legged one from that breeding or out of a short/long legged pair as I would think it would be a waste for a business like a hatchery to purposefully incubate eggs that won’t hatch

Back
Top Bottom