What type of chicken is this?

Allmyhens

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
We inherited our flock. I have 2 birds I can’t determine the breed. Anybody have any thoughts? They appear to be the same breed to me but one is about half the size of the other which make me think she is a bantam. They both lay a beautiful green egg.

Attachments

• 07AA9369-EA17-4B31-9A26-959FD35EF54F.jpeg
    07AA9369-EA17-4B31-9A26-959FD35EF54F.jpeg
    806.5 KB · Views: 12
  • A2DD8A1A-CA74-4D0C-84FA-513D08AAC5C5.jpeg
    A2DD8A1A-CA74-4D0C-84FA-513D08AAC5C5.jpeg
    627.5 KB · Views: 10
We inherited our flock. I have 2 birds I can’t determine the breed. Anybody have any thoughts? They appear to be the same breed to me but one is about half the size of the other which make me think she is a bantam. They both lay a beautiful green egg.
They’re Easter eggers. Does the first hen have two differently sized pupils?

They’re Easter eggers. Does the first hen have two differently sized pupils?
Yes. We believe she is blind in one eye. Her depth perception is off. We have had her over a year (got her as a mature bird) and it has always been this way. She is otherwise healthy and has a great personality. She is my favorite in the flock.

Yes. We believe she is blind in one eye. Her depth perception is off. We have had her over a year (got her as a mature bird) and it has always been this way. She is otherwise healthy and has a great personality. She is my favorite in the flock.
That sounds like ocular Marek’s. It would also explain the color of her eyes, which is extremely unusual in adult chickens. I know someone with a hen who developed a shrunk pupil (very likely due to ocular Marek’s) and she’s been alive and well for at least a year.
I wouldn’t sell or give away any of your chickens to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom