What type of fencing is best for goats?

Quote:
Does she climb over it or does she jump? At what locations are you going to use the electric wire to help stop her from getting out? Also do they have a large field or they confind to a small area? Thanks again for the helpful repiles everyone.
frow.gif

At this point I am saying that she is climbing, but I have not seen the fence since it started happening as I am stuck on the west coast till the end of the month. Cashmere's are barely redomesticated goats that will produce better when left alone, so she could be jumping and I just don't want to beleive it. I am going to put the hot wire 6" above the woven wire and my winter pen is a bit small, but still over an Acre. The best thing about my goats is they would rather be in than out, so they just cry when they are on the wrong side of the fence.

An offset wire works wonders for the climbing types... and of course keeps the cows from leaning on the fence, too.

I don't reommend t-posts; but sometimes it's all you can afford. If you can alternate wood post with t-post every 10', it's probably a good compromise.

Quote:
My neighbor did that with his cow pasture and it worked out real well for him. He did space at 8 foot intervals though. I think he was thinking of using cow panels as emergency repairs.

i use combonation cattle panels because the holes at the bottom of the fence are smaller than the regular cattle panels, i have nigerians, for meat goats i've heard kikos and kiko boer crosses are the best, i think it's because the mothering ability is better than the boars, you have to watch putting donkeys in with goats, donkeys have been known to kill goats just because donkeys can be pissy at times, i read an article that a few llamas and a few livestock dogs are the best combo for goats, hope this helps:)

Quote:
Thank you for the information on the donkey. I know nothing
idunno.gif
about llamas, but I will look into it. How large of an area do you have fenced with the combination cattle panels and how much did they cost?
Do your goats get out at all with them?

Last edited:
We use t-post in all of our fences, for goats, cattle, and horses. They work great. Just use a wooden post for the corners and where ever else your fence isnt in a straight line. In a straight line you still will want a wooden post every 40 or 50 ft or so to be able to stretch your wire from, depending on the way your ground lays. Hope this heps.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have t-post about every 10ft. Then wood post every 150 ft or so to stretch against. The only problem I have is one of our Percheron's likes to eat the grass on the other side. He leans against the top wire and the poles in that area are bent about 10 degrees. I don't have a hot wire through that area. Only place I have a hot wire is around the backyard to keep the horses from sticking their head over and the dogs and kids on the other side. The goats never bent any poles.

Back
Top Bottom