What type of fencing is best for goats?

Hey Swim,
I really don't think that there is a sure fire way to keep goats contained. I think perfect goat containment is like finding the Holy Grail of goat keeping. There is electric netting that you can get that allows you to move your goat pen easily and if you are not getting a lot of goats you might want to look into it. I do not know how much it cost, but I would think that it would be pricey. The earlier ideas on this thread are the best that we have found... You should see some of the thoughts on incubators!
ep.gif

Don't feel uneducated swim. It's all hit and miss. It's good to ask questions and learn from others mistakes.One of the most useful tools I have is a t-post remover. As far as the electric fence stuff goes. Hollywood has made us think you electrify the whole fence. Then of course there's the signs you see on fences around govt property and stuff. I don't know if there is such a thing as a whole fence that's electrified. I have a hard time keeping my one strand system working. I do get a charge out of it when the horse or dog touches it. Guess I'm just mean or something. Of course it's funny when the kids touch it too. Especially when they're daring each other.

Any last comments or help mainly from experienced fencers with goats? We have started putting in our posts. Still no final decision on the type of wire. Thanks again, looking forward to our goats.

We put up 6 strands of high tensile fencing. The wires can all be electrified, or just some of them. You can also adjust the distance between the wires to help keep kids in and dogs/coyotes out. Also, as your local electric co-op what they do with their old light poles. We asked and got ours for free!

Back
Top Bottom