What type of marans are these?

chiqita

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
San Jose, Ca
We got the chocolates you crave shipment of eggs, but only 2 of them hatched. This is supposed to be a mix of different maran chicks. I thought id be able to tell by comparison, but with only 2, I'm having trouble. Speedy have feathered feet, but white on her wings and chest, more of a creamy color. Dominique looks like a BCM that just didn't have the gene for featherd legs.

The one in the back is a hatchery buff orphingnton maran :D. ( didn't think we were going to get 2 hatches, dom was 2 days after speedy and i was worried he was lonely.)
here are some pics.

Speedy is the tall on, Dom is behind

here is all 3 of them, speedys trying to be tall in this pic too

A better pic of speedys wings

they are about 2 weeks old, if that helps.

Last edited:
They look just like my black coppers I also got from bargain. :) BEST hatch rate EVER on shipped eggs for me! Out of 12 shipped, 11 made it to lock down. Unfortunately, it started raining halfway through hatch, humidity went up to 90% overnight, and the remaining unhatched all drowned. :( So I only got 5 out of the 11 that were ready. I was told in the hatching forum that this wasn't possible, but it's the 2nd time it happened to me...

Ahhh, interesting! I was thinking speedy was something different with all his white markings.
But yeah, bargain packs her eggs beautifully, but I think ordering just after xmas may have been a mistake for us, most of the chicks didn't even start. and HOLY COW! these chicks are huge. The hatchery chick is about 2-3 days older then them, and they are towering over her, she looks like a midget in comparison. Its nice to see such strong big beautiful lines of birds. Ill post in a few weeks and see what they look like then.

I might be doing some more what chick is this, i have a mix of maran and welshsummer eggs in the bator ATM. hopefully the DH new candling device hes trying to build will let me see *** is up with my eggies!

Back
Top Bottom