What type of Marans are They? Can anyone tell me? Pics Attached

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by millejn3, Jun 5, 2010.

1. millejn3

millejn3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    central IL
    Hello Everyone,
    I bought some BC maran eggs off ebay and had two odd balls hatch out. One male and one female. They both have litely feathered shanks. I emailed the person that I bought them from and he said they would turn out to be either Black tailed Buff or Wheaton Sport. Im looking for input on these birds so Im attaching pics to see if anyone can help me figure out what they truely are. Im completely new to the world of Marans so I have no clue to what they really are. Are they mutts? Any help would be awsome!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    very pretty birds [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  3. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    They look like marans to me! [​IMG]

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I don't know, but you might want to change the title of the thread to mention Marans, and maybe attract some Marans experts here.

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    That cockerel is SO COOL looking. I love the mix of colors he has! Wish I could help you, but I don't know that much about Marans.

6. millejn3

Mar 27, 2010
    central IL
    They are both getting very pretty. I hope some one can tell me what they are. They both hatched from very dark eggs. here is a pic of the egs they hatched from and an earlier pic of the birds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  7. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    in the breeds genetics and showing section there is a HUGE thread for marans....
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=77436

i wouldn't repost the pics, but maybe you can pop over htere and post a link to this thread and see if you can get help there... the people posting there are very passionate about their birds...

8. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Mille~

Yep...pop over to the Marans thread that Evonne suggested. Lots of folks over there that would be happy to give you some opinions.

Is it just my monitor because the cockeral looks like he has yellowish legs?

9. millejn3

Mar 27, 2010
    central IL
    :cool:thanks for evryones help

10. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Mille,

I was looking at old posts and found these pics. Those chicks look like Wellington chicks. Then when they are older, the look like all crossed up birds. Is there any chance they turned out to be Wellies crossed with BCM? Just wondering if you found out what they were. It is so sad when you pay big $$ and get mutts. Cause, if they are not what you paid for, they might as well be. However, we all know chickens can breed in the blink of an eye, so one tiny slip up (and who ever knows when those may happen with family around) and you can have tainted eggs for up to 3 weeks. It is one reason I think I am so reluctant to sell eggs. How can you ever be 100% sure? I hope you had better luck with your next hatch.

Lotz of Luck, HenZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by