What type of paint is safe to use inside a coop?

we are doing the exact same thing as far as making a shed into a coop. I would love some ideas and pictures if the final product!

It's still a work in progress for us too :) The paint ended up taking a backseat to the chickens needing to move in, so for now, the paint has been put on hold (I did buy 2 reject gallon at Lowes for cheap though....one pink and one green). The girls really seem to love having all that room. They aren't laying yet, so they havent' used the nest boxes, and I may need to add curtains or more boxes...we'll see :)

Tammy

Here's the link to how its coming along:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/jitterbug-farms-coop

It's just an exterior paint, latex paint isn't real durable so the barn paint would last longer. Any hardware store would have it. And if color is not a big deal they usually have mess ups which are sold at a discount
I have enamel high gloss interior/ exterior paint. Is that okay on the enamel?

We just "painted" the interior with a lime wash. Read it kept down the mites. No idea as we are first-timers. Unexpected bonus was that the lime wash in the bucket thickened as I was painting to the consistency of thinset, so I was able on second coat to smear it around and basically fill all of the little cracks and nail holes. I tinted it with some water based latex and it is a lovely glowing duck egg blue. Very pleased. Do be careful: caustic when wet.

We just "painted" the interior with a lime wash. Read it kept down the mites. No idea as we are first-timers. Unexpected bonus was that the lime wash in the bucket thickened as I was painting to the consistency of thinset, so I was able on second coat to smear it around and basically fill all of the little cracks and nail holes. I tinted it with some water based latex and it is a lovely glowing duck egg blue. Very pleased. Do be careful: caustic when wet.
What is lime wash and where do you get it? Also how did you tint it? Do you just buy a white paint then tint it? I hate to sound stupid. My coop is almost done. Just calking the seems and stuff. Already my husband is seeing red mites already. The chicks are not even in there yet. Its like the mites are waiting for their hostesses.

Have you considered organic paint?

I feel it would be really good for the health of your chickens and yours aswell.

Choosing a paint that's low in volatile organic compounds (VOCs) -- or, even better, totally free of them -- can improve indoor air quality (and your health).

But keep in mind that even paints labeled "low" or "zero" VOC aren't always created equal. The current standard for a paint to be labeled low-VOC requires that it have fewer than 250 g/L; zero-VOC paints have to meet a less-than 5 g/L requirement.

Here are 2 brands I like:
  • Behr
  • Benjamin Moore Natura

What is lime wash and where do you get it? Also how did you tint it? Do you just buy a white paint then tint it? I hate to sound stupid. My coop is almost done. Just calking the seems and stuff. Already my husband is seeing red mites already. The chicks are not even in there yet. Its like the mites are waiting for their hostesses.
You will need to mix this yourself. You will find hydrated lime at farm and feed stores. Tractor Supply sells something called "barn lime", but I couldn't figure out if this was hydrated lime, so went with another local garden store. (Do NOT use dolomite lime, which is for lawns and for garden.) It cost around $10.oo for a 50 lb. bag. There are recipes online for Amish whitewash that call for just water and lime, to a list of various unexpected ingredients. I did not follow a recipe. I used a 5 gallon bucket and disssolved 2 cups of table salt (more or less) in hot water. Then I scooped in about 10 lbs (more or less) lime and added water to consistency of a thin pancake mix. Warning: this stuff is caustic until dried, so use gloves and mask and eyewear while mixing and applying. (I am not a particularly careful person, but am glad I did. Had a glop of wash fall on my nose from painting overhead and it really burned the skin!) Wash immediately if you get it on you. Safe when dry. As to colorant, I added some water-based latex and some craft paint from kids drawer to get the color I wanted. I did a second coat. Not necessary, but so much prettier. The stuff thickens in the bucket, so you'll need to add water toward the end...or not. I liked how thick it got and plastered the thicker mix on with my (gloved) hands. It dried a glorious opaque color, much lighter. Really brightens up the interior. BTY, for interior only. It isn't water resistant, like a latex paint, which we are using on the exterior and on roosts. Eventually, it will need redone, though not sure how often as it went on much thicker than the pictures I saw on the internet. Tried to send a link, but I failed. Sorry. Also, dries fast. I painted second coat in morning and put birds in same evening. Good luck!

Um
It's too late now, but what can be easier than just dumping a big puddle of the roofcoat on the floor and pushing it around with a roller? No measuring, no cutting and fitting required. Not to mention, no painting of the floor to start with. But one thing though, the roofcoat isn't as pretty as the wood grained vinyl.
Isn't roof coating a type of asphalt? That's not exactly nontoxic. Or an i thinking of something different?

Home Depot sells what they call "Barn Paint" which is supposed to be safe for animals. I just picked some up today it was about $15 for a gallon of Barn Red.

You will need to mix this yourself. You will find hydrated lime at farm and feed stores. Tractor Supply sells something called "barn lime", but I couldn't figure out if this was hydrated lime, so went with another local garden store. (Do NOT use dolomite lime, which is for lawns and for garden.) It cost around $10.oo for a 50 lb. bag. There are recipes online for Amish whitewash that call for just water and lime, to a list of various unexpected ingredients. I did not follow a recipe. I used a 5 gallon bucket and disssolved 2 cups of table salt (more or less) in hot water. Then I scooped in about 10 lbs (more or less) lime and added water to consistency of a thin pancake mix. Warning: this stuff is caustic until dried, so use gloves and mask and eyewear while mixing and applying. (I am not a particularly careful person, but am glad I did. Had a glop of wash fall on my nose from painting overhead and it really burned the skin!) Wash immediately if you get it on you. Safe when dry. As to colorant, I added some water-based latex and some craft paint from kids drawer to get the color I wanted. I did a second coat. Not necessary, but so much prettier. The stuff thickens in the bucket, so you'll need to add water toward the end...or not. I liked how thick it got and plastered the thicker mix on with my (gloved) hands. It dried a glorious opaque color, much lighter. Really brightens up the interior. BTY, for interior only. It isn't water resistant, like a latex paint, which we are using on the exterior and on roosts. Eventually, it will need redone, though not sure how often as it went on much thicker than the pictures I saw on the internet. Tried to send a link, but I failed. Sorry. Also, dries fast. I painted second coat in morning and put birds in same evening. Good luck!
Thanks for taking the time to address my questions. I sure appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom