What type of rooster is this?

Thanks everyone for your help. I will try to get better picks of the other girl to see if anyone can tell what she might be. If she's a mutt it doesn't matter cause she's probably my favorite. Thanks again.

I feel blonde for not saying this earlier. She certainly looks to be a Welsummer cross. Welsummers have that feather pattern, straight comb, body type, yours though has slate/grey legs instead of the usual yellow.
Lovely hen. :) she could easily have been crossed with an Ameruacana, thus inheriting her slate legs.

Your Production Red hen is so alert. Great pics of them all btw.

Last edited:
Thanks. That's Betty and probably my favorite and most friendly. She's a beautiful hen. We are in a terrible deep freeze right now and I'm worried about them but so far they are managing. -22 with wind chill -35

Thanks. That's Betty and probably my favorite and most friendly. She's a beautiful hen. We are in a terrible deep freeze right now and I'm worried about them but so far they are managing. -22 with wind chill -35

Oh my how horribly cold! Make sure to give them an abundance of soft hay to bed down in and a heat lamp to stay warm! Bringing them out warm water or hot water to add to the cold will make them happier during the grim weather. Veggies/Corn, bread, and sweetfeed treats are a plus too! I spoil mine during bad weather. ;)
Try to stop as much wind from getting to them in the coop as you can, and I'm sure they will do just fine. Luckily, Most large hens are rather hardy creatures :)

As for you all, stay warm! Drink plenty of cocoa ;) and I hope the weather gets better asap
1f414.png
1f495.png

Thanks for the tips. My coop is insulated and only 4*4 inside. I don't think we can put in a heat lamp. I think it would get too hot. We did bump up the light bulb to a 100 watt and it seems to be taking the chill off. The 5 bodies in there seem to be keeping each other warm. My coop has a small wires in run under it and I've poly'd it off to beat the wind. I've put some straw down in half the run and shavings in the coop. I always give them veg and fruit scraps and scratch. I will try some warm water tomorrow and bump up the scraps to the hens. They have free access to their layer ration too.

Mmmmm cocoa sounds good about now. Cheers!

Sounds like your totally prepared
1f601.png
1f44d.png
Lucky hens! Well done with the coop! Sounds like an excellent retreat for them :)

Don't forget the marshmallows!
2615.png
1f609.png

Here are a couple pictures of Betty. Wondering if she's an Ameracauna or just a mutt hen or ?? She's lovely and gives me 6 eggs a week. Sweet and friendly disposition but definately top hen and stays close to her Too.

Back
Top Bottom