What type of Sand?

For those of you that use sand in your coops...what kind is best and how much/deep do you make it?

thanks!
I bought play sand from Lowes it's suppose to be safe builders sand is suppose to have something in it that's harmful I believe, I used pea moss sand and wood shaving in my duck/chicken/geese houses

I just bought screened sand from the yard. I think it ran $14 per yard. ... But each yard is very heavy, don't plan on moving very much per trip, even if you've got a one ton truck.

Last edited:
OK... here's a question to those of you who are already using sand in your coops. I live on a small island in Alaska and there's basically three types of sand that's readily (and freely) available to me: fine, medium, coarse. As you can see there's bits of clam shells already mixed in. What do you think might work best? Thanking you all in advance for your input!

I'd use all, depending on costs. Let the first layer, closest to the Earth be the coarsest, then work your way up to finer textured sand. I'd say you want your sand 4"-6" deep minimum. Depends on your substrate and any natural slope that you may have I think.

I've got rocks then cobble as a base and was wondering how deep the sand should be... the 4-6" helps. Good thing the doors I've built are all set higher than that! Thanks! ~ Keith

Back
Top Bottom