what type of wood isn't good sawdust for chicks???!

chickmaniac250

In the Brooder
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
hi what type of sawdust is bad for chicks?me and my dad thought it was cedar but we're not sure.thanxs!!!!

chickmaniac250

I personally would not use sawdust with new chicks at all. Wood shavings are much better in that regard. I prefer kiln-dried pine shavings for my brooders. Easy to find and cheap at any feed dealer that sells to the horsey folks.

.....Alan.

A.T. Hagan :

I personally would not use sawdust with new chicks at all. Wood shavings are much better in that regard. I prefer kiln-dried pine shavings for my brooders. Easy to find and cheap at any feed dealer that sells to the horsey folks.

.....Alan.

thumbsup.gif

Saw dust is very fine and could cause breathing issue when stirred up by the chicks............
jumpy.gif

Yup, sawdust is too small. Pine shavings are best. Generic wood shavings if you can't find pine, but cedar is not recommended at all.

I usually spread out the wood shavings to let them air out before they go in the brooder. Then I cover them with 10-12 layers of paper towels. Take off a layer or two daily to keep it clean, and by the time you are done with the paper towels they will be ready to be on chips only.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom