What type?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by tiki244, Dec 14, 2011.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I think I know but just was hoping to get a few more opinions on the type of pheasant this is. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    looks like a Ringneck male

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Quote:x2

4. centurion90

centurion90 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Loxahatchee
    looks like a ringneck, and a good looking one at that

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I took that by a game farm. I see in the hatchery catalogs they have chinese ringnecks and jumbo ringnecks. They say the jumbo are a lot bigger than the chinese. Can you tell the difference? If I got hatchery birds would they look like this?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  6. Psalge

Psalge Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    My cousin has one closely looking like that, his is a ringneck

7. philter4

philter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Placerville CA
    Quote:Ringneck pheasants are all one species, the difference is they have been bred for different traits. Think of it like a dog, a poodle is the same species as a lab but has been selectively bred to look different, same with ringnecks. Chinese ringneck is the "wild" version, it is the closest to a wild bird, jumbo's were bred for meat so they are larger and heavier, but otherwise look very similar. There are also many different color varieties that have different patterns, some that are very beautiful.

As far as a hatchery bird looking like the one in the photo, it mostly depends on the individual bird and the sex, a female won't look like this no matter what, a healthy male should look like the one in the photo.

8. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a green/Mongolian mix, but since most "game ranch" pheasants are a mixed lot anyway, it's somewhat hard to tell.

9. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:You nailed it!! Most "Ringnecks" in America are a jumbled mix of all the races. If you are getting them from a hatchery, they are mutts (unless they can prove import documentation). Very few try to keep the lines pure (those who do, you are much appreciated & applauded!!) & little to NO care was taken to distinguish the different races when they were first brought to the US way back when. Some folks have worked very hard & spent a great deal of money to bring in pure lines in the last 2 decades and hopefully, they will remain pure and become established. A few of the races are near extinction in the wild (& certainly captivity) thanks to disregard to the distinct races bred in captivity & introduced into another's range for sport.

For those interested, I believe James Pfarr has a book in the works dedicated to just the genus <i>Phasianus</i>. One can also consult Delacour, Johnsgard, Madge, & McGowan for descriptions of the different races. There are a few posts here on this forum that show some distinct races as well.

Dan

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Well this is very interesting. I was thinking of getting some from a hatchery and after a while letting them loose on my land just to see them around. But as I am learning more ,,, welll, I am starting to learn. I have never had any pheasants befors. Very interesting comments. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by