What type?

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
I think I know but just was hoping to get a few more opinions on the type of pheasant this is. Thanks

5531_img_3006.jpg

5531_img_3008.jpg

Last edited:
I took that by a game farm. I see in the hatchery catalogs they have chinese ringnecks and jumbo ringnecks. They say the jumbo are a lot bigger than the chinese. Can you tell the difference? If I got hatchery birds would they look like this?

Last edited:
Quote:
Ringneck pheasants are all one species, the difference is they have been bred for different traits. Think of it like a dog, a poodle is the same species as a lab but has been selectively bred to look different, same with ringnecks. Chinese ringneck is the "wild" version, it is the closest to a wild bird, jumbo's were bred for meat so they are larger and heavier, but otherwise look very similar. There are also many different color varieties that have different patterns, some that are very beautiful.

As far as a hatchery bird looking like the one in the photo, it mostly depends on the individual bird and the sex, a female won't look like this no matter what, a healthy male should look like the one in the photo.

Quote:
You nailed it!! Most "Ringnecks" in America are a jumbled mix of all the races. If you are getting them from a hatchery, they are mutts (unless they can prove import documentation). Very few try to keep the lines pure (those who do, you are much appreciated & applauded!!) & little to NO care was taken to distinguish the different races when they were first brought to the US way back when. Some folks have worked very hard & spent a great deal of money to bring in pure lines in the last 2 decades and hopefully, they will remain pure and become established. A few of the races are near extinction in the wild (& certainly captivity) thanks to disregard to the distinct races bred in captivity & introduced into another's range for sport.

For those interested, I believe James Pfarr has a book in the works dedicated to just the genus <i>Phasianus</i>. One can also consult Delacour, Johnsgard, Madge, & McGowan for descriptions of the different races. There are a few posts here on this forum that show some distinct races as well.

Dan

Well this is very interesting. I was thinking of getting some from a hatchery and after a while letting them loose on my land just to see them around. But as I am learning more ,,, welll, I am starting to learn. I have never had any pheasants befors. Very interesting comments. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom