What varieties of coturnix quail will produce sex-linked chicks

rcstanley

Songster
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
Utah County, Utah
I recently saw one of the quail farms advertising sex-linked hatching eggs, where the chicks were sexable by color at birth. Females hatch out Egyptian, and males hatch pharaoh. (The sex-linking is only the first generation). Any idea what color varieties the parent stock would have to be to produce chicks like this? Producing my own sex-linked quail chicks sounds awesome.

I've never heard of the coturnix colour 'egyptian' before. They may mean roux dilute which is supposed to be sex linked. :confused:

The reason this would work is due to a sex linked colour. The male will be that colour, the female will be the pharaoh (females cannot be split to a sex linked colour - they are visually that colour or not). Their offspring will create males that are split to that sex linked colour but visually like their mother (50% of their female offspring would be the sex linked colour), and the females will be that sex linked colour. Those females wouldn't pass that colour on unless paired with a male visual, (or a male split to the sex linked colour - they would produce 50% of the offspring in both sexes being that sex linked colour). The females paired with a male not carrying that colour would produce males split to the sex linked colour but not visually that colour. That's why it will only work the once.

I'm trying to breed rubino bourkes parakeets and I have two unrelated females. Rubino is a combinations of two sex linked colours. One female paired with a wild male will produce a male split to that colour that I can breed with the other female and I will hopefully get rubinos in both sexes. :fl It just takes a bit of work to get there!

the roux color is a recessive sex-linked, meaning only the males will express it but you won't be able to tell by looking at the females if they carry it.

Myshire Farms has a youtube on how to do it. They also sell the varieties of quail to cross to produce the sexlink chicks

Thank you. I'm just getting started with quail. I've been breeding Crested Cream Legbars for years and did not know about auto-sexing of quail. This was the only thread I'd seen on it here.

Back
Top Bottom