What variety of cortunix do I have?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RiverOtter, Nov 4, 2009.

1. RiverOtter

RiverOtter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    Hello!
    I've gotten lots of great info from all the forums here and finally had to join so I could ask what color variety of cortunix do I have?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I've been wanting quail for quite a while and a fellow had these at a swap meet. They are just so pretty so here they are! There is a sad lack of pictures of the different varieties online. I'd love to know what this color is called and how it is inherited. And if anyone knows a site with photos of all the varieties I'd love a link.
    Thank you quail gurus!!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Those are goldens [​IMG] (aka golden speckled, golden manchurian, etc. etc.)

ETA: Golden is dominant over most all other colors. If you breed golden to brown, 1 of 3 chicks will be brown. I believe it's rosetta that is dominant over golden, but other than that, if you breed golden to anything else, chances are you'll get goldens. There is a hatchery that has pics of quite a few different varieties, let me see if I can remember which. I think stromberg's?? But not sure. brb

ETA: Yep, it was stromberg's. http://www.strombergschickens.com/stock/button_quail.php

They
    don't have pics of all the different varieties, but this is most of them. The only others I know of in this country are cinnamons and reds, they don't have those, and I don't have pics of mine [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  3. RiverOtter

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    Woot! Thanks![​IMG]

Great, I'm glad it's a dominant color. That is the whole of my current quail flock (5) and I wanted to get some Jumbos or big A&Ms as well, since hatching eggs of those seem pretty easy to find.
    But these are just so very pretty. I really love them.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. quailgal

quailgal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2009
    I was wondering, does the person who sold them to you have a web address? They are good looking quail and I might like to get some:)

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Fyi Some Folks Also Call Them "italians" Or Italian Coturnix. Nice Looking Birds!

6. RiverOtter

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    Quote:Sorry, was offline for a couple of days.
    I got them at a meet, in Southern MO, near the AR border. Are you anywhere near? It is once a month and if I see the fellow again, I'll be sure to get his info for you. I only got 5 to see if I enjoy having quail and I wish I'd gotten more!
    I think I have 3 females and 2 males and I think that the 2 very clear golden colored ones are a pair. I've heard the females call, but not the males, but 2 are noticeably smaller and act different. Fellow said they should start laying in a couple of weeks from when I got them, so I'd be happy to send you some eggs when I get some. They are under lights so I'm hoping they lay well. LOL, which I'm hoping means 3 eggs a day from my 3 ?girls?
    I'm hinting for DH to get me some Jumbo quail eggs for my B-day, since this is a dominant color, I'm hoping I can cross them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by