What variety of cortunix do I have?

RiverOtter

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 4, 2009
NY
Hello!
I've gotten lots of great info from all the forums here and finally had to join so I could ask what color variety of cortunix do I have?
Picture006.jpg
Picture003-1.jpg

I've been wanting quail for quite a while and a fellow had these at a swap meet. They are just so pretty so here they are! There is a sad lack of pictures of the different varieties online. I'd love to know what this color is called and how it is inherited. And if anyone knows a site with photos of all the varieties I'd love a link.
Thank you quail gurus!!

Those are goldens
smile.png
(aka golden speckled, golden manchurian, etc. etc.)

ETA: Golden is dominant over most all other colors. If you breed golden to brown, 1 of 3 chicks will be brown. I believe it's rosetta that is dominant over golden, but other than that, if you breed golden to anything else, chances are you'll get goldens. There is a hatchery that has pics of quite a few different varieties, let me see if I can remember which. I think stromberg's?? But not sure. brb

ETA: Yep, it was stromberg's. http://www.strombergschickens.com/stock/button_quail.php

They
don't have pics of all the different varieties, but this is most of them. The only others I know of in this country are cinnamons and reds, they don't have those, and I don't have pics of mine
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Woot! Thanks!
bow.gif

Great, I'm glad it's a dominant color. That is the whole of my current quail flock (5) and I wanted to get some Jumbos or big A&Ms as well, since hatching eggs of those seem pretty easy to find.
But these are just so very pretty. I really love them.

Last edited:
I was wondering, does the person who sold them to you have a web address? They are good looking quail and I might like to get some:)

Quote:
Sorry, was offline for a couple of days.
I got them at a meet, in Southern MO, near the AR border. Are you anywhere near? It is once a month and if I see the fellow again, I'll be sure to get his info for you. I only got 5 to see if I enjoy having quail and I wish I'd gotten more!
I think I have 3 females and 2 males and I think that the 2 very clear golden colored ones are a pair. I've heard the females call, but not the males, but 2 are noticeably smaller and act different. Fellow said they should start laying in a couple of weeks from when I got them, so I'd be happy to send you some eggs when I get some. They are under lights so I'm hoping they lay well. LOL, which I'm hoping means 3 eggs a day from my 3 ?girls?
I'm hinting for DH to get me some Jumbo quail eggs for my B-day, since this is a dominant color, I'm hoping I can cross them.

Back
Top Bottom