What was I thinking?

ZuniBee

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
Zuni, Virginia
Three weeks ago I hatched some eggs from speckledhen. Right after they hatched I decided to put some of my eggs in the bator to see if they were fertile and if they would grow. I have 33 hens in one pen with one rooster. So, I collected 24 eggs that I knew were different. The male is a top hat mutt and the hens are RIR's, BR's, Rhode Island Whites, and some Ideal 236 white egg layers and top hat mutts. So, I got eggs from each one. (I can tell because the tophats lay a certain tan color, then there are darker brown, light brown and white.

Well, I kind of spaced out the days and have not really paid attention to them. The day before yesterday I finally thought I should candle the eggs. 21 are growing and it was day 17. Now day 19 started at 1pm today. What in the world am I going to do with all of these mutts? Has anyone advertised mutts on craigs list and more importantly, did you find anyone that wanted them?

Talk about getting bit by the hatching bug!!!

Jay, you are so HOOKED! And you have more eggs coming from me next month, too?!
gig.gif

Sure, advertise any that you don't want free or next to free and you'll get rid of them. Save some room for the Blue Orps, buddy! They do take up a little bit of space, LOL.

In my area you can barely give away the purebreds, but I know when I lived in Indiana, there was much more demand in that area (Michigan, Ohio, Indiana). And there was an auction in Michigan I always went to, so that helped a lot. Nothing like that out where I live now though.

Oh I will have room for the Blue Orps. I'll just let the bator rest until Jan!

Just don't know what I'll do with the mutts. You know I am talking like I am going to get a lot. I can see it now, I'll get 100% hatch rate on these!

You know I never thought of the mutts as egg layers but they will probably be super layers. I really like my top hat mutts too so.... guess I'll be building another coop!

You're not suffering fom anything different than the rest of us...although after next week I'm done.....at least until after the first of the year!!
smile.png

Do you have any poultry auctions around where you live? That's where I take my extras. Good luck with your hatch!!
smile.png

Quote:
Katy I just have to tease you....the first of the year is in less than a month. So start a batch this week and then say, I am done until after the first of the year.
lau.gif
lau.gif

Tonya

Back
Top Bottom