What was it?? ((duck at the park))

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Among all the birds at the park yesterday, i saw the oddest little duck, i couldnt for the life of me think what she was...

she was:

-Wild
    -Call-sized
    -Black
    -Constantly Diving (nearly non-stop!)
    -Had a short, odd-shaped beak, it met high on the face, Like a tiny goose beak!!!

most the birds were mallards(VERY friendly too!) and domestic mixes people had left. there was also a wood duck hen, she was beyond cute! BUT i know i've seen this kind of duck before!! i just cant put a name to it. [​IMG]

I cant find pictures anywhere.....any help?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I think we need a picture Bleenie. Maybe it is a mutant goose - duck.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I wish i would have got one! [​IMG] ...it was so odd, it was under water more than above & stayed far far away.

this is the closest thing i could find..i think this is an Austrailian Wood Duck? BUT this duck was jet black, no 'hair-do'. the woody hen was also black but had the fancy head, her beak looked different.

[​IMG]

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Time to get out the cat food and dog carrier [​IMG]

Well It sure does sound exotic. Even though the woodies are very pretty - ive just never been a fan of them or some of the "rare" expensive ducks [​IMG]

My home grown mutts have always suited me

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

they had a super cute crested duck too, but lots of mixes, blues & khaki's mostly.

6. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I wish i had a pond like that around here. I mean the retirement home around here has a bunch of ducks ( too many in my opinion ) but I dont live in that area anymore.

7. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
  8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    [​IMG]
    Quote:I can see you when you get old, out there at the retirement community with a dog carrier and some bread or corn, trying to lure the ducks in, lol.

9. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Retirement community? really ? Me? nah ah. Thats what I will ( hopefully ) have grand kids for

" Maggie, would you be a dear and go get grandma that purdy blue duck in the neighbors pond? It would make my dear old heart so happy"

[​IMG]

10. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

Could it have been a coot?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by