What was she doing????????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crj, Oct 3, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I was watching a chicken today. She is a blue maran and she shares a coop/pen with FBCM's. Today she was at the fence what a concrete block was sitting. Behind it were pine needles that had fallen. She was picking them up and putting them on her back. I've never seen a hen doing anything like that before. Anyone have a clue to why she was doing this? She isn't broody. The stuff would fall off her back and she would just keep finding more and putting it on her back. It never stayed in place. Curious to know if anyone else has ever seen this and if so what was the reason.

2. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    She was building herself a nest! [​IMG]
    They put their nest materials on their back so it falls around them and makes a "bowl" around them.

3. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Someone was posting on this site a few days ago about her hen sticking bits of hay under her wings and all over her body. Pretty cute.

4. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:i never knew this!!![​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The bigger the bowl the better! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:[​IMG] haha!

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I love it when they do that! Everytime I put new shavings in the nesting boxes...I get hens covered in it! I love watching them do it-then leave me presents!!!!

8. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    She was not making a nest that I can tell but then again I really didn't look. I will have to check the coop to see if she brought anything in there. I don't think she had much luck because it kept falling off her back..... lol. She doesn't seem broody either and has plenty of hay in the nest box. Birds can be so goofy sometimes. It was neat watching her though.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a few hens who do this after they have laid their eggs. Most do it whilst in the nest, some do it afterwards, after they have left the nest. The ones I see do it outside of the nest are those that have never gone broody. They lay their eggs and walk away, but some of the nesting instinct remains. I anthropomorphize the behavior as "I'm so special, I just laid an egg, I'm gonna dress up."

The pens doing it in the nest box are hiding themselves (instinctively protecting the clutch of eggs, even if that clutch consists of a single egg) and building a better nest, with the shavings or leaves or whatever building up around their bosses, as mentioned previously.

10. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    maybe she wanted to be a scarecrow, if she only had a brain..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by