What was she?

SamLockwood

Songster
Sep 29, 2022
My luck being what it is, of course I lose a chicken to a hawk attack on Thanksgiving and of course it's one of the two unique birds in my new flock. On the plus side the Guineas did a good job raising the alarm and making life difficult for the hawk & I was able to chase it off before it could make off with its Thanksgiving dinner.

What makes it even more aggravating is I saw the culprit skulking around the last couple days but at a distance I mistook it for a crow (in the late afternoon light it looked black, up close I could see it was actually dark brown).

It triply sucks because it was one of the ones I was thinking of getting more of later on (the other was the steel-grey feathered olive egger), hence my post-mortem interest in breed.

Here's a picture of her at 13 weeks. She was one of a "colorful egg layer assortment" I got from Meyer (hatching date August 22, if that helps). From the feathering and the slate legs, I'd say Black Copper Maran but I don't think that was an option with that assortment so maybe an Easter Egger? Even if I can't get the exact "breed" (she was most likely a hybrid) anything similar would be good.

IMG_20221123_154312091_HDR[1].jpg

It looks like a black sex link but I don't see those listed on Meyer's website. That doesn't mean they don't sell them, though. The only other thing I can think of is olive egger. Meyer doesn't have Mystic Onyx.

Back
Top Bottom