What was this? Infection, tumor? Gross Picture

Morgaine

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Texas
We processed 26 Cx's yesterday. Today I was cutting them up into different parts (breasts, legs, thighs wings) and when I went to cut the breast off I ran into this. There was more on hte other breast as well. What was it? We did not keep this, just grossed me out too much.

5920_303.jpg

That is interesting. If it were on a human, I would say common fibrosis. But please dont hold me to that. I have 2 Dr friends I will show the photo to and see what they think.

Last edited:
Hi Morgaine,
I might be wrong, but I think that's dead tissue caused by impaction of the breast muscle against the sternum (breastbone).
It happens sometimes with large cornish x if they too much wing-flapping exercise. Their breast muscle bulk is so huge the muscle closest to the breastbone can compress and die off. It can be a big problem if they're kept slightly older than recommended dispatch time.
Nasty looking, but I've kept carcases like this, making sure I remove any discolored flesh.
I may be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.
cheers
Erica

Quote:
Compress and die, rip and die, clot and die. These birds are too big for their own good. Tasty though!
Tim

Indeed, I'm not a big fan of raising them, but I love to eat them.
hmm.png

That is a good thought, I've heard of that happening...I suppose lack of circulation would be an issue too, with muscles that oversized.

I wonder if that is like when you cook a store bird and there's sometimes a piece of meat against the sternum that is black after cooking?

Back
Top Bottom