What was your luckiest moment as a chicken keeper?

Finding 3 of my "wish list breeds" on accident in a TSC bin labelled "Blue Andalusians." I got a Lavender Orpington (even though ppl hate on them, I think they're pretty), a Turken, and an Appenzeller Spitzhauben. And they are all pullets!

Oh - and the 2 Silkies I picked up at a feed store are both ladies, too!

Lucky-scary moment: A raccoon got into the run before lockup. He didn't see that the pop door was open, and didn't get in the coop!
I should elaborate a bit: He got in through an area that was (obviously) not secure, where the wall of the run met the roof of the coop and the run. He was focused on looking through the large domed opening that was covered with hardware cloth. I managed to unhook the pop door, and got it closed. I made a LOT of noise and opened the door to the run, then ran like heck back to the house to get my gun. He was gone when I got back.
YOU. WIN.

Hands down.
As DH said, that was my free warning.

(Insert emoji of me lying down, panting and shaking with nerves and fear and relief.)

Our young cockerel Jude (5 mo) has been treated as an outcast by the flock, and roosts alone each night in the little coop his mom hatched and raised him in. She moved back to roosting in the main coop after weaning him 4 mo ago while he remained in the empty coop.
25121000-9316-4D53-BA04-67D17E46B805.jpeg
Fast forward to 4 days ago. Old Speck, the oldest member of the flock (6 yrs) and now almost at the bottom of the pecking order, is molting severely which makes her more vulnerable than ever. Anyway, she has decided to roost in the little coop w Jude! I found them snuggled together on the roost and was so happy for them! They roost together every night now. I hear them talking to each other. I think they are so lucky to have each other for a buddy.

My favorite chick from last year was a pullet. And out of this year's chicks, I was afraid that only 1 out of the 5 would be a pullet, because only she was showing the correct feather pattern when young. Turns out this is still a "project breed" at this breeder's and there are a lot of inconsistencies in the feather color and pattern, so that's not reliable in this case. I ended up with 3 pullets from the batch - all 3 look different, even though they are the same breed, and only 1 looks like the breed :lol: They are gorgeous sweethearts and I love them all!

Actually with ducks but one of the hens was missing one morning. I got home really late from a funeral and was crying and I tried to get everyone in but the ducks weren’t cooperating so I left them to fend for themselves over night. Probably not the best idea but I’d had a sucky week and I couldn’t deal with them on top of that.I woke up and my girl was missing a few days later she arrived home and I think she was laying her nest somewhere else but now she’s laying in the nest box.

Back
Top Bottom