What waterer do you use?

Sorry about that. I use these

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/little-giant-1-qt-screw-on-poultry-jar

I start with the small bottom in the brooder then go to the big one once they get a little bigger.
oh and just to add. You can use glass jars in the summer but not in the winter. They'll break when they freeze. I have found you also have to be careful with the recycled glass jars, spaghetti sauce type jars, they fit but you have to watch that you don't screw them down to low and block the hole.

This is the route I had hoped to go, but unsure how I would keep it from freezing in the winter or the nipples plugging up or cracking. UGH northern winters, lol
I went out 2x per day over the winter and dumped hot water into the waterers and it kept them working properly. When we had snow, the birds preferred eating snow to drinking water lol.

I went out 2x per day over the winter and dumped hot water into the waterers and it kept them working properly. When we had snow, the birds preferred eating snow to drinking water lol.
I went out 2x a day to remove frozen solid blocks of ice.:) I had heat a heat lamp set up that would work until it went below 20 then everything froze. Last year was my first winter. I have a new plan for this year.

I went out 2x a day to remove frozen solid blocks of ice.:) I had heat a heat lamp set up that would work until it went below 20 then everything froze. Last year was my first winter. I have a new plan for this year.
I guess you’re in a colder area of ny? I’m in nj outside nyc and if I went out twice per day none froze solid. I am considering making extra waterers and just switching them out instead of lugging out water. I can go out in the am, collect the waterers and put them inside in the tub to thaw and put fresh ones out. Then swap them at night. I’ve also considered running pvc water lines with nipples into the pens. Then I can run that heat wire they put on cold exposed pipes, like in mobile homes, to keep it running. The only issue is I would need a big reservoir and I would need to heat that as well, I ordered a greenhouse so I can probably keep the big water reservoir in the greenhouse.

Last edited:
We had stretch from Jan through mid Feb with single digits at night. I'm not a glove wearer but once the door latches start freezing to my hands I made the move. I'm in Chemung County. Straight down from Syracuse on the NY/PA boarder.

We had stretch from Jan through mid Feb with single digits at night. I'm not a glove wearer but once the door latches start freezing to my hands I made the move. I'm in Chemung County. Straight down from Syracuse on the NY/PA boarder.
That’s hardcore! Latches freezing to your hand, wow! I’m concerned about my albinos because they have a cup waterer, and I worry the little bit collected there will freeze in the cup, so I’m gonna put them into the greenhouse when it gets really cold, they have an easy to move special needs cage, due to their blindness. I think I won’t have to worry until January tho at least. 🤞

This is the route I had hoped to go, but unsure how I would keep it from freezing in the winter or the nipples plugging up or cracking. UGH northern winters, lol
I'm very lucky that I don't have to worry about this. Even when I move further north next year, I won't have to worry about it since my birds will be in my heated greenhouse.

Back
Top Bottom