What waterers do you recommend?

Have you had clean the nipples due to algae or anything? if so, are they hard to clean?
I have never had to clean my nipple waterer, other than a simple rinse. If you have a covered, fully opaque waterer bucket (the Home Depot ones are not), and keep in the shade, it should have no algae growth.

Do you happen to have any cross-beak chickens? I have one, I wonder how well she will be able to use this vs a bowl?
Depends on how severe the crossbeak is. I have a crossbeak and she does use a horizontal nipple but it took 2-3 weeks to teach her to use it effectively (she was surviving off the water dripping after other chickens drank). I was picking her up daily and using her beak to toggle the nipple to train her to peck at it properly - with the other chickens they all picked it up after being shown that way, but she had issues

interesting. I have not heard the penny but I have heard that apple cider vinegar might work. I will try the penny first. It is warm in TX even though we have had a mild summer. Algae likes to grow around here.
If you try pennies, they have to be old pennies. The newer ones have little copper in them. Starting in 1982 pennies are 97.5% zinc. Pre 1982 pennies are 95% copper.

If you try pennies, they have to be old pennies. The newer ones have little copper in them. Starting in 1982 pennies are 97.5% zinc. Pre 1982 pennies are 95% copper.
dang.. I found a penny but it is a 1980's.... cannot remember exactly. I will look for another one. Thank you so much! I am always learning so much on here. I love ya'll!!

Dark buckets block more UV than light, which inhibits algae growth. Red much better than blue, so Home Depot Orange > Lowes Blue > white buckets from anywhere else. Depending on season, temperatures, whether or not a chicken is in lay, expect consumption between 1 and 2 pints daily per bird. In TX, you should expect 2p/day (1 qt) as a typical rate of consumption. Said differently, a full 5 gallon bucket is 20 bird days worth of water for adult, laying, moderate to large breed hens in a hot environment like TX. It might go higher still in extremes, and drop considerably during what passes for winter there.

Dark buckets block more UV than light, which inhibits algae growth. Red much better than blue, so Home Depot Orange > Lowes Blue > white buckets from anywhere else. Depending on season, temperatures, whether or not a chicken is in lay, expect consumption between 1 and 2 pints daily per bird. In TX, you should expect 2p/day (1 qt) as a typical rate of consumption. Said differently, a full 5 gallon bucket is 20 bird days worth of water for adult, laying, moderate to large breed hens in a hot environment like TX. It might go higher still in extremes, and drop considerably during what passes for winter there.
Awesome thank you. That helps a lot

Back
Top Bottom