What weird thing does your DH or DW or Kids do that just seem ODD?!

WIChookchick

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
Rural Brooklyn, WI
My DH has a few hobbies which we share, but then he has ones that just make me shake my head...
We are roleplaying gamers, and if you are even vaguely familiar with that, some people go to great lengths for their characters backgrounds,
home lands, type of castle they live in.. OR when they create something such as a world.. what critters live there.. terrain and so forth.

My hubby does some stuff along those lines... but to a new extent...
For one campaign he created a zeppelin, a BIG blimp.. but he researched online the latest developments in engines, fuel, metal structures, kitchen appliances,
furniture, flooring, and covering/skin for his ship. It would be smaller than the big ones of WWII, but the company that made those is in business again.
He researched photo cells that can be used for solar power, a thing called aero gel, and even propellers for the ship...
He created it, created drawings of it..
This is a thing you could build, and market...he could get a job with the zeppelin company for the creations he has done..
And what does he do with this thing.. uses it in a sci/fi modern day "Stargate" type game.

In his old "Risk" type game, called the "Nations" game he and his friends would run back in the day.
He created ships, battleships, aircraft carriers, he drew them, he knows their displacement tonnage when they are fully laden with planes.
he created tracking systems, missiles, YOU NAME IT.. from online resources and the old Janes books on military stuff, such as ships, tanks, armored carriers...
This is stuff people could find and know and understand if they read those types of books.
Yet all that effort for a dice and paper game. Oh and lets not forget their "theme" music....

And now.. one of the latest.... ships in space..
Yes, Space ships.. probably NOT the type you would see in real life ( in our life times), but ones you might see in a movie, like Alien, or Serenity.
The "lower" tech type vs the Star trek type (Yes he has made those too)..
but we are talking hull armor thickness, propulsion systems, maneuvering capability, crew size, crew quarters....
He has done this in the past, but we are in a revamp of the old game, so he is creating NEW ships....
One was 3 levels high, he created it, and then had me go to a printer to get clear copies on plastic so we could use
an overhead projector I got cheap for the game...
He goes a bit overboard on his normal characters too, ALL his (our) friends do...
The "stargate" type game in our world is based from the UN.. so you guessed it...
Our friends went onto ebay and other places and got UN berets, and flags. They "dress" up for our games, as we sit around a table in the basement with
our laptops, saving worlds from even shapeshifting aliens, or like creatures/people.

For christmas this year, a good and dear friend gave us all pins or patches based off of what OUR characters do in the Space game.. So I have a set
of wings, from a Nasa medical officer, he got off of Ebay...

I know my DH does this to relax, and he loves to create these things.. I just wish he could get money or find a job where he could do
that all the time. We drove down to Chicago last night from WI, he was on his laptop creating a big battle cruiser for the space game...
I love him, but sometimes the amount of work he puts in to the stuff. is just ODD.
Oh, and we can't walk through a Home Depot like place with out him commenting on how well that item would work on one of his many ships, be it space/blimp or sea going...

But then I can look at a dog, cat, or horse and name its breed, if a horse I can go back or will go online and look up its bloodlines.. and can recite that back to the days its ancestors
were running on the plains of africa or steppes...

So what weird things does your family do??

uh... we like to play scrabble... actually, my DH could spend all day landscaping our 5 acres. It absolutely burns his butt that i've filled at least 2 acres with birds, and they have the audacity to POOP on 'his' lawn. he gets up early, finds a project (currently unemployed post military deployment) and will spend all day long working outside.. i have an hour long limit. after an hour on one thing, i have to change to a different thing, or I'll go mad. but compared to the time your husband spends on 'fantasy', i guess my DH isn't so weird after all
lol.png

chickensducks&agoose :

uh... we like to play scrabble... actually, my DH could spend all day landscaping our 5 acres. It absolutely burns his butt that i've filled at least 2 acres with birds, and they have the audacity to POOP on 'his' lawn. he gets up early, finds a project (currently unemployed post military deployment) and will spend all day long working outside.. i have an hour long limit. after an hour on one thing, i have to change to a different thing, or I'll go mad. but compared to the time your husband spends on 'fantasy', i guess my DH isn't so weird after all
lol.png

HEY! we love Scrabble!,. Playing Scrabble isn't weird!
big_smile.png

*sigh* All those wasted hours in my misspent youth. On the other hand, the effort I put in to optimizing my designs gave me a leg up with linear algebra, manufacturing planning, and database performance tuning.

So far, all I have learned from Mafia Wars is ... nevermind.
roll.png

Chicken.Lytle :

*sigh* All those wasted hours in my misspent youth. On the other hand, the effort I put in to optimizing my designs gave me a leg up with linear algebra, manufacturing planning, and database performance tuning.

So far, all I have learned from Mafia Wars is ... nevermind.
roll.png

Off topic: Your avatar is so cute, Chicken.Lytle!!​

I can't think of anything too weird about them except my 8 year old loves old black and white movies!

BUT< I know Dh would say "My wife hangs out on this chicken forum all the time! WEIRD!"
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
Me:
wee.gif

My DH and kids used to obsess over the Pokemon games. DH used to be into D&D. They are big movie goers too, and I personally dislike the square shaped time suckers of TV and movie screens, and game screens. I couldn't care less about any of the above. I don't get it. I tried the Pokemon games with them, but when they are so all consumed with it...it just detracts from the enjoyment because they ADVISE TOO MUCH
lol.png
so I gave that up. If I try movies with them, by the end...like 12 hours later...everybody looks at me like...well why haven't you been cooking meals, I'm STARVING!! So, I gave that up. It was boring anyway
tongue.png

Then...they don't get why I like chickens and am on my computer so much
hu.gif
They "don't see what I could find so interesting for hours!" Nevermind that I am not always on BYC, but looking up new recipes, doing studies on Greek and Hebrew words and their meanings for bible study, emailing, posting sales, scheduling bartering and offering services, checking bank accounts, buying presents, finding products they "NEED" and a bit of relaxing on BYC with folks who think more like ME!

They think I'm the weirdest one, because I am different
th.gif

DH for some reason REALLY doesn't like the Marines. He was in the Army in the Vietnam Era. When he and I were first dating, a recruitment commercial for the USMC came on with "The few ... the proud ... the Marines." He interjected with "the short."
hmm.png
A few years later, a college friend of mine shot a music video on our property (for a Swedish viking metal band called Bathory--our forest is very Nordic looking, esp. in winter) and I went to go get the crew pizza. When I returned, all these college aged boys are in a semi-circle around my husband, wide-eyed while he was ranting on about the Marines kinda like Grampa Simpson. When he finished with that, he said, "Now I'll tell you what's wrong with the Navy." After that, "Now if Hitler had done it right ...."

My husband is not a Nazi, his father fought against them in WWII, he just likes to talk military strategy and was scaring these poor college boys who had just been protesting the then new Iraq War back in Dec. 2003.

Compared to all my family and co-workers, I'm the weird one. I don't play computer games or Facebook games. I actually grow a garden and raise chickens. I cut firewood and heat my house with a woodburning stove. I can wire a house or repair an electrical appliance, I can and do plumbing when needed. I do practical woodworking carpentry. I can cast gold and silver jewelry along with brass and aluminum parts when I need them. I can weld. I drive a 17 year old diesel truck that I do most of the maintenance on when needed. I read Science Fiction for recreation.

Back
Top Bottom