What went wrong with my ducklings?

Stratham zoo

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 19, 2013
Well I posted in distress several days ago about my overdue indian runner duck eggs and unfortunately did not have a happy ending. I am in a mission to learn what went wrong. Would like to try again someday. In brief : 4 fertile eggs. Developing well until lock down. Moved tapered away. Waiting for internal pip for days and after candling and floating multiple times determined it was time to give up at day 33. I've been reading a lot and think I have ruled out shrink wrapping. Leaning towards drowning as my conclusion but would appreciate input from the experts. This was my first experience. At egg topsy once I got through to air sac it was white and stretched across without any "shrinking wrapping". Wet it to ensure no movement. I punctured the membrane and found a fully developed duckling the correct position for pipping. It was quite wet inside and once I pulled him out I saw that the yolk was still huge. So in piecing together all the clues along with the pics I took I'm hoping to learn how and when they died. I do need to add incubation info. I'm pretty sure my humidity was too high the whole time. Otherwise conditions were good in my homemade incubator. Also they were from a farm not shipped. All 4 looked the same at egg topsy.

Last edited:
I'm sorry
hugs.gif
It does look the humidity may have been too high? They look rather wet. When they internally pip (which they're still absorbing the yolk sac and veins into the abdomen at that stage) they may have drowned when inhaling the excess fluid. I'm assuming they died right after internal pip. This is all a learning process. Try again! What was your humidity set at throughout the hatch and right before hatch? You want a nice big air cell just before hatch is due. There's charts out there you can compare it to. Eggs need to lose that moisture over the course of incubation. You'll get it down pat. Don't give up!

Back
Top Bottom