What were you doing the morning of 9/11?

I was at work in NY (western NY). Tried to get on CNN to check morning news. Said site overload. Thought it was a glitch. Kept trying. Then heard hallway get loud as the word leaked in.

My sis was on a plane leaving Nashville routing to Buffalo through NYC.

SIL was in NYC site seeing.

Our tech guy found a way to get TV's hooked up throughout the building and we watched and waited and cried and prayed.

Sis's plane was turned around and sent back to Nashville.
SIL was stopped from entering city at one of the large entry bridges.

I think I cried a gallon of tears over the next week...

Isn't it odd how every generation has one traumatic event that they will always remember exactly what they were doing when it happened? We can be taken back to that exact moment in time and remember every detail. I still vividly remember the high school business ed class I was sitting in when the principal came over the intercom and told us the Space Shuttle Challenger had exploded.

On the morning of 9/11 I was teaching 8th grade English. We scrounged up enough tv's that the kids could watch and keep up with what was going on. My students were from a poor area and not well aware of current events. They could understand that we were attacked, but the could not understand the concept of suicide attacks. They believed it had to be accidental. It took a huge stretch in their belief systems to realize that something like a suicide attack could occur. Seeing them become more jaded with the world was just as heartwrenching to me as what was going on in New York.

Melissa Etheridge sang a song about that morning that still can bring me to tears. Our lives changed so much after that day. I guess there are hurts that never go away no matter how much time passes.

Being out west, I was just waking up. I turned on Fox news and saw the first plane had hit the first tower. Nobody knew what had happened. I thought some poor pilot had a heart attack and crashed. Then the second plane hit.

I was teaching chemistry. The class had earned a reward so we were listening to the radio while they worked on an assignment. When the radio started the coverage, we thought it was either a joke or something was being blown out of proportion. My building didn't have a tv do we spent most of the day listening to the coverage on the radio.

It was rather amazing to watch 60 high school students sit huddled around the radio in absolute silence.

I was a stay-at-home-mom home with my 15-month-old daughter and a 12-month-old child I was babysitting. I was 4 months pregnant with my second child and miserably sick from my hyperemesis (excess vomiting during pregnancy). To keep the girls entertained I was letting them watch Veggie Tales videos on VHS while I was busy being sick as a dog. As I popped one video out and was ready to put another one in, I saw the news footage and just kind of froze. I sat there and watched in shock as the day unfolded...

I was at homepainting christmas ornaments... I haven't done that since...(it is also my niece Melissa 's birthday. she turned 4 that year)

Back
Top Bottom