What were your reasons for getting ducks/geese/chickens or turkeys?

I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons (personal beliefs) and didn't want to support the commercial egg industry any longer.

Eggs, Meat and to keep water from becoming mosquito breeding grounds. The ducks are good at finding any puddles in the wooded area out behind the house after the brook recedes.

I just wanted eggs......

Now I have them for pets and stress relief, and whatever eggs they happen to give me.
-Banti

My first pet was a Chicken when I was 5 years old. Her name was Penny.
I like chickens for the Eggs and entertainment.

My Ducks are great fun. Used for eggs and their fun loving personalities.
Puppies in feathered suits!

A couple of reasons.

I wanted eggs and ducks seemed to be better suited to our winters than chickens.

I wanted livestock of some sort because we just bought a farm.

I wanted something for mosquito/bug control.

I needed something to make lots of poop/organic matter for our soil.

I'm trying to eat more locally grown/raised food of all kinds so we can actually keep small farmers farming.

I have a pond on my property and got Anconas since they're medium weight and good for eggs and meat. Plus they're a lot cuter than chickens in my opinion.

I'd love a Chinese goose eventually but my boyfriend is afraid it will try and hurt him all of the time.

We moved out on 10 acres a year and a half ago and started a "hobby farm" of sorts. We have donkeys, goats, and a horse that we love and feed. I finally wanted an animal that would "give back." Originally I was looking at chickens, but I came across a chicken vs duck article and decided ducks sounded like more fun! I'd really like a pair of geese too but my mom is afraid of birds in general (it took some convincing just to get ducks) and especially geese and turkey, so I'd need the friendliest breed only. Any suggestions from goose owners?

I got ducks because I really wanted to clean up poop!!!!

(wait a minute....)

;)

I got them for the eggs and meat. But I've come to love them as a wonderful source of comedy too. They are just the funniest---- My chickens are funny, too...don't get me wrong. But ducks have this very charming "stupidity" to them. I don't mean that in a mean way at all.... they are just very sweet and foolish.

Back
Top Bottom