what? what? WHAT is this??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ItsAZOO32, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ItsAZOO32

ItsAZOO32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Ok so I am not sure of breed or gender here. This bird was hatched from a brown speckled egg on May 18th 2011 from a batch of "EE" eggs I bought here on BYC. SOO.. it is about 13 weeks old. I have been told it's an Australorp mix or a Jersey Giant mix because of the coloring on the legs. The owner said it is possble that it is a JG because he DID have some before and some blood is still lingering.

Anyway.. I have believed from the beginning ... Roo but.. I've had others tell me Hen.. IDK. Too much red in the face at 13 weeks for a girl IMHO.. No crowing but certainly more aggressive behavior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Older picture.. taken July 21st so... 9 weeks old?

[​IMG]

Please help [​IMG]
    Thanks!
    Jessica

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I would say JG mix rooster. [​IMG]

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    That's a cockerel. Waaay too much red for a 13 week old pullet.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:x2

5. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Maybe a Jersey Giant... Definately a rooster

6. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I see yellow in between the toes so definitely got some JG in him. And most likely a rooster. But looks similar to my JG hen. And she lays brown eggs w/ dark brown speckles on it. So when you said that, I knew it was likely a JG.

7. Oobhakeb

Oobhakeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Lancaster, Kentucky
    I HAVE A BLACK AUSTrALORP that is getting the same iridescent look to her feathers. fyi, I also have a JG and they looked VERY similar until 9wks when the A started getting the coloring.

8. i have one kind of like that. i was convinced she was a rooster because of her comb, wattles, and she was even growing spurrs (although at a very young age.)

she is now broody and sitting on a pile of eggs (the black one.)

[​IMG]

I think she's some type of black plymouth rock. she looks awfully similar to that white rock next to her.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Yours looks like a black sex-link.

I'd say the OP's bird is a JG cockerel. At 13 weeks a pullet would not have a comb like that.

10. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:You need to let your White Rock know that she's kicked an egg out and it's sitting behind her. Wouldn't want to loose one because it's not being kept warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by