what white hen for son?

tvtt08

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2016
Iowa
My son really wants a white chicken. We are just about to start our flock and plan to get buff orpington, easter eggers, dominique, and appenzellers. What white hen would be a good fit for a kid? White leg horn? White rock? Something else totally? :)

I love leghorns, but they can be a bit flighty. White cochins, orpingtons, or rocks might be a bit more calm.

we have a brown leghorn and it is our only chicken that won't allow us to pick her up. so if this is true for all colors of leghorns I would consider something else. She isn't mean, just skittish. we have one silkie (that is black) and it is AMAZING for kids. They can be white too. She lets anyone pick her up. She is quiet and sweet. She loves to be held. If the silkie is raised with the others from the beginning it shouldn't be a problem. Ours is doing great. We have 12 total. (barred rocks, orpington, marans, silkie, brown leghorn, black sexlink, and easter eggers. My only occasional peckers are my barred rocks. Good luck! It is SO fun. My kids love it.

Last edited:
I love leghorns, but they can be a bit flighty. White cochins, orpingtons, or rocks might be a bit more calm.

That's good to know. I didn't know there were white orpingtons. I'll have to check that out!

we have a brown leghorn and it is our only chicken that won't allow us to pick her up. so if this is true for all colors of leghorns I would consider something else. She isn't mean, just skittish. we have one silkie (that is black) and it is AMAZING for kids. They can be white too. She lets anyone pick her up. She is quiet and sweet. She loves to be held. If the silkie is raised with the others from the beginning it shouldn't be a problem. Ours is doing great. We have 12 total. (barred rocks, orpington, marans, silkie, brown leghorn, black sexlink, and easter eggers. My only occasional peckers are my barred rocks. Good luck! It is SO fun. My kids love it.

Ahh he would LOVE a silkie! Great idea.

The problem with silkies is, it is nearly impossible to sex them early. Generally 4-5 mos. is the earliest you can tell. Sometimes not till it lays eggs or crows. If sex doesn't matter - just pick one your son likes., or actually two. Chickens are flock animals and prefer to have buddies. If your son wants a silkie as a house pet, your family would be her/his flock. Please check out "people with house chickens," thread.

The problem with silkies is, it is nearly impossible to sex them early. Generally 4-5 mos. is the earliest you can tell. Sometimes not till it lays eggs or crows. If sex doesn't matter - just pick one your son likes., or actually two. Chickens are flock animals and prefer to have buddies. If your son wants a silkie as a house pet, your family would be her/his flock. Please check out "people with house chickens," thread.

I was just reading up on Silkies and kept noticing you can only buy them straight run. If I get 4 silkies, along with 8-10 laying hens, if I end up with a silkie rooster or two will the silkie rooster breed the other hens?

Back
Top Bottom