what white hen for son?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tvtt08, Jul 22, 2016.

1. tvtt08

tvtt08 Just Hatched

Jul 18, 2016
    Iowa
    My son really wants a white chicken. We are just about to start our flock and plan to get buff orpington, easter eggers, dominique, and appenzellers. What white hen would be a good fit for a kid? White leg horn? White rock? Something else totally? :)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I love leghorns, but they can be a bit flighty. White cochins, orpingtons, or rocks might be a bit more calm.

3. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    we have a brown leghorn and it is our only chicken that won't allow us to pick her up. so if this is true for all colors of leghorns I would consider something else. She isn't mean, just skittish. we have one silkie (that is black) and it is AMAZING for kids. They can be white too. She lets anyone pick her up. She is quiet and sweet. She loves to be held. If the silkie is raised with the others from the beginning it shouldn't be a problem. Ours is doing great. We have 12 total. (barred rocks, orpington, marans, silkie, brown leghorn, black sexlink, and easter eggers. My only occasional peckers are my barred rocks. Good luck! It is SO fun. My kids love it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  4. tvtt08

tvtt08 Just Hatched

Jul 18, 2016
    Iowa
    That's good to know. I didn't know there were white orpingtons. I'll have to check that out!

Ahh he would LOVE a silkie! Great idea.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The problem with silkies is, it is nearly impossible to sex them early. Generally 4-5 mos. is the earliest you can tell. Sometimes not till it lays eggs or crows. If sex doesn't matter - just pick one your son likes., or actually two. Chickens are flock animals and prefer to have buddies. If your son wants a silkie as a house pet, your family would be her/his flock. Please check out "people with house chickens," thread.

1 person likes this.
  6. tvtt08

tvtt08 Just Hatched

Jul 18, 2016
    Iowa
    I was just reading up on Silkies and kept noticing you can only buy them straight run. If I get 4 silkies, along with 8-10 laying hens, if I end up with a silkie rooster or two will the silkie rooster breed the other hens?

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, he would most likely breed the full size hens, but fertile eggs are fine to eat if you foresee that as a problem.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by