What will help my roo's frostbitten comb to heal quickly?

Thanks, Sundown - I do think I'll go this route and hope he heals quickly. He's a healthy boy otherwise, so here's hoping!
smile.png

frostbite needs to be treated the same as a burn...
aloevera with glycerin applied alternately with a topical antibiotic or antiseptic agent (choose one carefully with no painkiller or stinging agent such as alcohol) will provide relief (the glycerine) as well as aid in healing (the aloevera)...

PERFECT - thanks for weighing in, dlhunicorn! Off to the drugstore for alovera w/glycerin!
smile.png

My rooster's comb got blackened tips and the back of the comb just above the feathers became a target for the hens. I cleaned the wound up and put a triple antibiotic ointment on it then separated him for a couple of weeks. It looked pretty good except for a dark scab so I put blue kote on it thinking that would hide it, but the gals found it and picked it right off. Since then I've kept him separated, gave the girls some cat food kibble, but stopped when they could range. When I let him range with them, it was OK for a day or so and then it started again. I think it's just a couple of hens. I have 14. I've tried pine tar too, but that didn't faze them. I also have a White Crested Polish rooster who has been inside because they pulled his crown feathers out and pecked his head bloody. He was my "free exotic chick". He ranges with one hen now that the weather is a bit better and she is fine with him.
All of the information from the forum has been great, but I'm still stumped. Oh, I'm feeding organic layer 16% plus some greens.

Hello, Tumbleweed, and
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you found us!

I'm a little confused on what you're stumped about...? Wondering why your girls are pecking the Polish' head?

Thanks for the welcome, Wynette. What great information! I'm stumped because it isn't stopping. The one roo's comb heals up after being separated. I put him back with the girls and less than 2 days later they're back pecking his comb and drawing blood. The other roo, the WCP, gets healed up and feathers are growing back covering his pink head and they start pulling his head feathers out again. They don't do this to each other and I only let the roosters out with them when they range, so I don't think it's boredom.

That's why I'm stumped. I've used blue kote, pine tar, fed cat food in small amounts. They aren't crowded and generally seem happy. When they pick at the boys, it's not in a mean way. I think they're vampire hens. Yikes!

Wow - yes, I'd be stumped, too. You've tried everything that I personally know of, except Anti Pick Lotion (Pick No More) which you can find at a few online strores - http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=480

The
only thing I can think of is simply that they are bored! It CAN be a lack of protein, but feeding dry cat food (in moderation) should have stopped it if it was that.

Gosh, I think I'd start a new thread with the heading "I'm Stumped: why are my girls pecking my boys?" or something like that. You're bound to get many more replies than you will in this thread. BEST of luck!

Back
Top Bottom