What will I feed them?

Caffus

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
I have an older hen and 10 6 week olds. One of them will be a rooster and they will have some chicks. Can I give them all flock pellets mixed with chick starter and then offer calcium and grit together in a separate bowl?

Sounds good, but can the chicks get enough food if the flock raiser is pellets? I have noticed that when I use crumbled more than half is wasted. That is why I was thinking of using both. That way, to make sure the chicks could eat and the odler birds do not waste most of the food.

You certainly could put both out. I have a mixed age flock, and I have one feeder out with layer pellets for the adults, and one feeder with grower crumbles for the young ones. Having the adult food out won’t stop the adults from eating the chick food, but it does help make sure everyone has the options to meet their nutritional needs.

Sounds good, but can the chicks get enough food if the flock raiser is pellets? I have noticed that when I use crumbled more than half is wasted. That is why I was thinking of using both. That way, to make sure the chicks could eat and the odler birds do not waste most of the food.

If you feed crumbles put a cookie sheet or other pan under it to catch the spill.

Back
Top Bottom