What will I get out of this cross?

Jun 20, 2019
Mississippi
They are brother and sister. Mom was lavender Orpington and dad was a BLRW.

The cockerel is blue with slight incomplete red lacing in his wings and the pullet is all black with some sheen. I know they could throw some single combs. But what about colors?

0E77F26D-F18E-4999-950F-7EBFCB8DF3C8.jpeg

64DD14C5-5142-4F06-B9DF-949D024FEC20.jpeg

Honestly, probably every bird will either be black or blue. I crossed a SLW with a Blue Ameraucana, and the results were a solid blue pullet and blue cockerel with gold leakage. All the rest of the chicks from that same Ameraucana were black with gold or white leakage. One, half Delaware, was birchen, which was pretty cool. I'm sure NatJ will have much more insightful advice, though, and I look forward to learning a bit more.

They are brother and sister. Mom was lavender Orpington and dad was a BLRW.

The cockerel is blue with slight incomplete red lacing in his wings and the pullet is all black with some sheen. I know they could throw some single combs. But what about colors?
Yes, combs should be mostly rose but a few single.

I would expect most chicks to be black or blue, possibly with small amounts of red or maybe some white. About 1/4 of them will express the lavender gene, so they will look lavender in color.

You may get some laced chicks, or chicks with sort-of lacing. The "lacing" is the edge on the feather (black or blue), and the other color goes in the middle of the feather (red or gold or possibly silver.) Again, about 1/4 of these should show the lavender gene. It dilutes black or blue to lavender, and it dilutes red or gold to a pale yellow shade.

@nicalandia does the blue gene make a lavender chicken look any different? I'm not sure how they interact.

Honestly, probably every bird will either be black or blue. I crossed a SLW with a Blue Ameraucana, and the results were...
That's about what I would expect in the first generation cross, but OP has already done that cross (produced the hen and rooster in the photos) and is planning to breed them to get another generation. That new generation should let some of the other traits show up again in a few chicks (lavender, and maybe some laced patterning as well.)

That's about what I would expect in the first generation cross, but OP has already done that cross (produced the hen and rooster in the photos) and is planning to breed them to get another generation. That new generation should let some of the other traits show up again in a few chicks (lavender, and maybe some laced patterning as well.)
Oh, oops. I thought OP was talking about the same cross, Lav Orp with BLRW. My bad!

Back
Top Bottom