WHAT WILL MY CHICKS LOOK LIKE?!

losullivan

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2020
Hello!!
This is my first time incubating and I’m super excited to see what my chicks are going to look like!!

I have:
Cuckoo Maran Hen x Dominque Rooster
Black Australorp Hen x Dominque Rooster
Cuckoo Maran x Buff Orpington Rooster
Black Australorp x Buff Orpington Rooster

any input would be greatly appreciated! I’m interested in hearing your thoughts!!!

TYIA!! 🐓🦆🦃💚

*PICS INCLUDED BELOW!

Last edited:
Things like comb and body shape can vary a lot, but I there is a really handy calculator for genetics! http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#intro what genes they carry can make the chicks vary, such as recessive genes and homozygous and heterozygous and all, but most likely you should get-

1. Barred
2. Barred
3. Barred Cockerels, Black Hens
4. Black

Buff is kind of a crazy gene, if there were to be deviations from what might happen, I'd expect it from the half buff chicks :D

Things like comb and body shape can vary a lot, but I there is a really handy calculator for genetics! http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#intro what genes they carry can make the chicks vary, such as recessive genes and homozygous and heterozygous and all, but most likely you should get-

1. Barred
2. Barred
3. Barred Cockerels, Black Hens
4. Black

Buff is kind of a crazy gene, if there were to be deviations from what might happen, I'd expect it from the half buff chicks :D
Thank you so much !!!

& actually my dominque rooster has a straight comb instead of the normal rose comb. I did some research on it. I guess there is a 25% chance that a dominque could come out with a straight comb. It’s rare but it happens. (Had some fun with punnet squares lol)
I know he isn’t a barred rock because I do have some of those as well and there is a difference in the barring. So I def know that all these little chicks will have straight combs lol.

I also have these breeds that should start laying soon:
RIR (hens and 1 roo)
Blue laced Red Wyandotte (hens)
Barred Rock (hens)

I can’t wait to see in the future what kind of chicks we can get from those beautiful chickens as well!

& actually my dominque rooster has a straight comb instead of the normal rose comb. ...
I know he isn’t a barred rock because I do have some of those as well and there is a difference in the barring.

Do you have pictures of them both? Black Sexlink roosters are also barred with single combs, but the barring looks different than Barred Rock rooster barring. If it is a Black Sexlink, you would get more not-barred chicks than if you have a Dominique rooster.

2D2EBEB7-79CF-4E57-88E4-6FE05F3CEB94.png

752FA859-9D22-4835-932A-F5DAF3F342FD.jpeg
87B85B6E-67BD-4FC8-885A-D8E15AA45199.png
ACD3B8CB-23D6-49C0-B12A-F17C9E60F947.png

here are the best photos I could find!

Last edited:
Do you have pictures of them both? Black Sexlink roosters are also barred with single combs, but the barring looks different than Barred Rock rooster barring. If it is a Black Sexlink, you would get more not-barred chicks than if you have a Dominique rooster.
Attached some pics above!

Last edited:
I see barred birds in the first and third pictures. The first picture looks like a Barred Rock rooster. The third picture has "different" barring (darker, less white)--that's the kind found on Barred Rock hens and Black Sexlink Males.

It's because of how the barring gene works, being on the Z (sex) chromosome. Females only get one copy of the barring gene, and have the darker form of barring. Black Sexlink males also get only one copy of barring, because of the way the cross is done, so they also have the darker barring. But purebred Barred Rock or Dominique or Cuckoo roosters have two copies of the barring gene, so they have more white and look lighter. It's often possible to sex Barred Rocks just by how dark the bird looks: darker hens, lighter roosters.

Ok so my “Dominique roo” could be a barred rock roo lol and I compared them to my barred rock hens so that’s why they look slightly diff. I agree he is lighter than my hens. That’s why I was thinking he was a Dominique (with the rare single straight comb)

the 3rd pic is one of my Cuckoo maran hens. More of a brown color. And actually she is the darkest maran out of the 4 hens that I have

Ok so my “Dominique roo” could be a barred rock roo lol and I compared them to my barred rock hens so that’s why they look slightly diff. I agree he is lighter than my hens. That’s why I was thinking he was a Dominique (with the rare single straight comb)

the 3rd pic is one of my Cuckoo maran hens. More of a brown color. And actually she is the darkest maran out of the 4 hens that I have

Yes, your rooster is probably a Barred Rock.

Back
Top Bottom