What will your Ducks Eat and Not eat

chickenmama929

Chirping
Sep 29, 2020
Hi!
I am getting six Khaki Campbell ducks on Saturday the 31st. i might have one boy. They are 12 weeks old. I wanted to know what they eat and do not eat.
Thanks!
Crazy Duck Lady

May depend on what they have had in the past. Just like kids they sometimes pull up their noses (bills?) to new food. Besides their pelleted duck food, mine like greens (leaf lettuce, kale, turnip greens etc.), thawed frozen peas and corn, watermelon, tomatoes, and meal worms or soldier fly larva.
That's funny

So many people report that their ducks love peas. Mine won't touch them. They forage during the day and only get a treat at night when they come to the coop. Duck pellets are available to them all day. They love corn, which they get in moderation, lettuce, watermelon, some fruits, and meal worms. Some times some will like something but the others won't. My drake is especially fussy. If he finds a worm, he likes to wash it in the water before chowing down.

May depend on what they have had in the past. Just like kids they sometimes pull up their noses (bills?) to new food. Besides their pelleted duck food, mine like greens (leaf lettuce, kale, turnip greens etc.), thawed frozen peas and corn, watermelon, tomatoes, and meal worms or soldier fly larva.

Mine are very suspicious of new foods also. Their Vet had me switch out their diet a couple of months ago. They walked around the bowl giving the new food the suspicious duck side-eye for quite a while before someone got brave enough to try it! Now, they love it. Another time, a friend of mine brought the ducks some watermelon. My two Muscovy girls were terrified of it! Silly creatures!

We have 19 chickens and 4 ducks (Welsh Harlequins). We feed them cooked rice and cooked split peas combined to make one quart very afternoon. We feed them the rice and peas just as a filler because it's cheap. 20 pound bag of rice is 8 bucks and last almost two months. Peas are a little more expensive but not much. As I throw the rice down the ducks wait till I get to the peas in the cup then it's a free for all...lol. They love them. They also love watermelon. Mealworms they love as well but that's just too expensive to feed that often. They all free range all day in our enclosed back yard so they get other stuff too.

Back
Top Bottom