what woke us up at 4 in the morning. *GRAPHIC PIC!*

criminy! look at that mouth... ::shudders:: I had a co-worker/friend who rescued a baby possum and raised it. His name was Mr. Elephant and he was sooo sweet and such a good little baby, she ended up giving him to somebody who was set up to handle a captive raised wild animal. He was much cuter then above picture... Probably because his mouth wasn't all.. Bloody. Yech. Poor chickens, glad that sonofagun is gone though!

Caught in the act. Two dead chickens and blood all over him. So much for possums not killing chickens.

oh no, the blood was from my husband bashing its head in with a sledgehammer.
roll.png
oh well, at least its dead!!

Just remember though to dispose of it carefully. Here in the state there are many confirmed cases of rabies each year.

As of Aug 31 of this year there have been 45 confirmed caes in animals here in Ok.

Here is a website that has good info on the disease plus at the bottom of the page there are links to other info such as the count for each year.

http://www.ok.gov/health/Disease,_P...sease_Service/Disease_Information/Rabies.html

Dispose of it properly. IE bury it. If it had the guts to chase anything it may not have been healthy. I trap and the only agressive grinners i have seen were not healthy. Also wash up good and wash all clothes. Good for you and your family getting rid of the problem!

Yuck! Not cute and cuddly when it is killing your birds. Glad your husband and boy were able to take care of it without getting hurt.

Chasing your husband is NOT normal behavior for a possum! You might want to call the state and get them to come get it for rabies testing. If it was rabid then your husband and son may need the vaccine. My son got bit by a ground squirrel that was hiding from the cat in his shoe that he had left on the front porch. We called the state health department and they came and picked it up and tested it.

It is sad you had to kill it, but it is completely understandable. If it isn't too late, definitely have it tested...that behavior you described chasing your husband seems suspicious for a "normal" opossum.

Back
Top Bottom