what woke us up at 4 in the morning. *GRAPHIC PIC!*

It's also possible that it was chasing because it was cornered. Rabies is nothing to fool around with for sure, but animals who aren't normally aggressive can become so when cornered.

Quote:
You are right, but possums usually 'play possum'...they will act dead, or just kinda put their heads down and wait to see if you leave. Of course if you are hitting it or something, it may be different. I have caught several with my bare hands that kept coming on my porch to eat my cat's food. I have never had one act aggressively towards me. Since rabies is a FATAL disease I would surely call the state health department and have that sucker tested. Once you get it...there aint no going back!

What is happening to my chickens? I am losing one hen a day, usually between 4pm and 6pm. One minute they are there and then **poof** gone. I have seen a large hawk around. Can he carry off grown chickens?

nasty disgusting vile creatures! thank you for one less on this earth!
wink.png

Quote:
Several birds of prey can indeed carry off a grown chicken. But that doesn't mean they did in your case.

You provide too little information to even guess, several ground predators are also normally active before sunset or after sunrise, they come out when light levels drop off or aren't very high.

This includes everyones friend the fox.

I am surprised at that 'possum's behavior, eating chickens, chasing husband, not playing dead. Sounds sick and you probably should call the state wildlife folks.

well, it was bagged up with my chicken and thrown away so we cant test for it, but my husband said he was wondering about that..i dont know, i just wish we couldve killed it faster, i dont want anything to suffer, even a nasty old opossum.

No one was bit or got scratched (with open wounds) right? Rabies is trasmitted through fluids, so if not you should be fine. But, I would check any pets (cats, dogs larger livestock) for any possible bite/battle wounds as well.
Glad you all killed it, as I very much agree that this was abnormal behaviour and likely indicative of disease.
Sounds like it maY be time for some of that chicken math. I am sorry you lost the 2.

Back
Top Bottom