What WON'T your chickens eat?

Like actual styrofoam?
I made a mistake of leaving some sheets and cut pieces of styrofoam insulation stacked up(in the run & in rafters of coop) and the wind blew it down..... Chickens were into it like scratch seed mix! /Facepalm

I have found that some days they absolutely love shredding a head of cabbage, other days .... "Meh."

A few hens and a couple Roo's LOVE bananas, a couple Roo's are in the "could care less camp" for them.

All of them climb over each other to get at plain yogurt!

Apple is a 50/50 think it appears too.

I threw an ear of corn in there and you would have thought it was a hand grenade.....they HATE CORN!! Also wont touch cabbage....thought I was doing them a favor and drilled a head to hang for them...NOPE...they will eat Greek yogurt, only when sweetened w honey...otherwise...NOPE!!! Scrambled eggs....you guessed it...NOPE!!!

Brussel sprouts...not on your life!!! Lastly.....pumpkin....wait for it...NOPE!!!! I may try roasting it and trying again

The latest go that they like...oat bran with butternut squash guts and I mix more water and their layer feed in and give it to them warm...Western MI is getting brisk.

I threw an ear of corn in there and you would have thought it was a hand grenade.....they HATE CORN!! Also wont touch cabbage....thought I was doing them a favor and drilled a head to hang for them...NOPE...they will eat Greek yogurt, only when sweetened w honey...otherwise...NOPE!!! Scrambled eggs....you guessed it...NOPE!!!

Brussel sprouts...not on your life!!! Lastly.....pumpkin....wait for it...NOPE!!!! I may try roasting it and trying again

The latest go that they like...oat bran with butternut squash guts and I mix more water and their layer feed in and give it to them warm...Western MI is getting brisk.
We have a hanging basket that I cut the cabbage head in half. Then I start at the top and cut towards the stem but, stop about 3/4 the way in. I slice it like fingers on a hand, very thin fingers... Usually a 1/2 head will get a good 20 slices in it for them to yang off the little pieces.

The young and the silkies I cchop it up like prep for tacos. Really fine. It is usually all gone by dark.

Uhmmm. They eat all, even Wood chips (so i had to remove the chips one to one because it blocked their crops!! :eek:) I finally discovered something that my chickens dont eat just some days ago!
It is mango. They look at it, and go away. Lol,i love mango.

I'm no longer surprised with what chickens will eat, mine have eaten (with great relish) the usual oddities, lizards, bees, drywall, Styrofoam etc... now, I'm surprised with what they refuse to eat!
Blueberries
Strawberries
Spinach
Green grapes (but red or purple are ok)
Bell peppers
And various other things I would consider to be A+ chicken chow.
They just stand in it and look disgusted.
What won't your chickens eat?

I have heard of other chickens that don't eat things. I have also heard some people say they should not eat nightshade veggies (peppers are one, as are tomatoes and potatoes and more), some grapes, and avocado peels and seeds. Mine don't like CORN!!! I give them lots of garden veggies, but I pray that they will know what they can eat and leave the rest to feed bugs that they can eat later! Today they left spaghetti squash after they ate the seeds. But they will always eat chicken bones (calcium) and BBQ rib bones and any meat or fat on them.

Back
Top Bottom