What WON'T your chickens eat?

Pics

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Premium Feather Member
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
I'm no longer surprised with what chickens will eat, mine have eaten (with great relish) the usual oddities, lizards, bees, drywall, Styrofoam etc... now, I'm surprised with what they refuse to eat!
Blueberries
Strawberries
Spinach
Green grapes (but red or purple are ok)
Bell peppers
And various other things I would consider to be A+ chicken chow.
They just stand in it and look disgusted.
What won't your chickens eat?

My older hens hate carrots. They won't touch them. Luckily, my younger chicks love them.
My chickens also hate banana. I always get a bunch of death glares when I bring banana to them.
My older hens also don't like pumpkin. I haven't fed any to my younger chicks yet, so I don't know how they feel about it.

Update: I brought some squash innards out to my chickens. The older girls reacted as expected (complete and utter disgust), and two of my four chicks hated it too. Only my cochin bantam pullet, and my EE cockerel liked the squash.

Last edited:
Mine don't like strawberries and mushrooms, and apples are only good if there's NOTHING else left. Pineapple is gross, raspberries are boring but adequate if I've nothing else, and blackberries aren't much better.

They go absolutely bonkers for grapes, though. Any grape. ALL grapes. They frequently test my fingertips (my nails are usually painted pretty bright colors) for possible grapitude. (You never know what might be a grape and you should always check.

Their "You're our favorite person EVER" list:
Blueberries
Cherries
Yogurt
Cottage cheese
Cherry tomatoes
Canned cat food
Night crawlers
Crickets
Watermelon
Grapes
Mealworms