What WON'T your chickens eat?

Pics
Mine won’t eat stuffing, raw carrots (but will eat them cooked), radishes.
They LOVE blueberries, Cheerios, pasta, rice, corn and pretty much everything else.
Prefer lettuce over cabbage and reluctantly eat broccoli and cauliflower.
And yes, they love meat. Pork, beef, and even chicken. They will pick the bones clean.

I tossed some too-sprouty-to-salvage sweetpotatoes into the pen thinking that they'd eat the sprouts and I'd pick up the potatoes in a few days. I ended up leaving them longer because of heavy rain and found that the chickens were slowly pecking into them. It took them a couple weeks but they did eat them.

I think with mine the harder vegetables need to be cooked down for them to eat. If it’s hard to peck a piece off they don’t want it.

I'm no longer surprised with what chickens will eat, mine have eaten (with great relish) the usual oddities, lizards, bees, drywall, Styrofoam etc... now, I'm surprised with what they refuse to eat!
Blueberries
Strawberries
Spinach
Green grapes (but red or purple are ok)
Bell peppers
And various other things I would consider to be A+ chicken chow.
They just stand in it and look disgusted.
What won't your chickens eat?
My

Mine don't eat raw cabbage, carrots, broccoli or cauliflower, but cook it a bit and they love it. They won't eat horn worms off my tomatoes plants (but they sure will eat the tomatoes). Only Esther, my silver laced bantam Cochin will eat horn worms. I have to step on them first though :sick Popcorn is hit or miss, depending on the bird, but it must taste better if they steal it. Stolen marshmallows was a riot to watch, having half my BBQ sandwich stolen was not as funny.:barnie

460892A0-8C7A-4A7B-BC31-E5B0E3E703D1.jpeg
This is what you get when they eat too many blueberries.

Mine love So many things everyone else’s don’t seem to like. They eat strawberries, blueberries, all parts of squash, oatmeal, grapes, and carrots. I’ve only found 3 things they just won’t eat: Celery, green peppers, and stink bugs. I really wish they liked stink bugs :-/

Mine love So many things everyone else’s don’t seem to like. They eat strawberries, blueberries, all parts of squash, oatmeal, grapes, and carrots. I’ve only found 3 things they just won’t eat: Celery, green peppers, and stink bugs. I really wish they liked stink bugs :-/
Mine love strawberries, blueberries, grapes, tomatoes and squash, but the favorites are watermelon, pumpkin and mealworms, by far.

Back
Top Bottom