What WON'T your chickens eat?

Pics
I'm no longer surprised with what chickens will eat, mine have eaten (with great relish) the usual oddities, lizards, bees, drywall, Styrofoam etc... now, I'm surprised with what they refuse to eat!
Blueberries
Strawberries
Spinach
Green grapes (but red or purple are ok)
Bell peppers
And various other things I would consider to be A+ chicken chow.
They just stand in it and look disgusted.
What won't your chickens eat?
Our Leghorn loves red wine. Maybe pair the fruit with a nice California (best wine in the world) red?

We get an organic feed that we only use a small amount of each morning. Our girls find all sorts of bugs and what-nots throughout the day. The thing thing that baffles us is the dried peas in the feed. Our girls will not eat dried peas. Fresh or frozen peas are just fine though. Is this odd behavior?

I'm no longer surprised with what chickens will eat, mine have eaten (with great relish) the usual oddities, lizards, bees, drywall, Styrofoam etc... now, I'm surprised with what they refuse to eat!
Blueberries
Strawberries
Spinach
Green grapes (but red or purple are ok)
Bell peppers
And various other things I would consider to be A+ chicken chow.
They just stand in it and look disgusted.
What won't your chickens eat?
Orange peels

My girls will eat anything that I would consider bad for them i.e. their straw bedding , pine shavings, etc. but won't touch any food scraps I try to give them. they barely eat the food I buy for them , I put out about a cup of feed for 4 chickens and always have most of it left over at the end of the day ( I ferment it so they at least get some nutrition out of it), and when I try to feed it un fermented they don't touch it. I have gotten them to eat blueberries, but now my bushes are done for the season... I have let them have the run of my garden and they didn't touch anything that was growing still... except the weeds/ grasses. They do get outside time most of the day to forage, but it seems that they only eat grasses. I have brought them worms and bugs and slugs and the only thing the even showed any interest in was the worms, but it is getting into the 20's at night here and only the 40's during the day so the worms have pretty well hunkered down deeper.

Back
Top Bottom