What would a Lady Amherst's X Yellow Golden Pheasant Hybrid look like?

Hiram Means

Songster
Feb 26, 2021
I AM BY NO MEANS INTENDING TO DO THIS CROSS

But out of curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone has ever encountered a YELLOW golden pheasant X Lady Amherst's Hybrid.

I have seen many pics of the Red Golden hybrid, but never a Yellow Golden Hybrid.

Have these ever been created? Also, is it possible that such a cross is the origin for pheasant color variants like the Silver Golden Pheasant?

It would phenotypically look like an Amherst x Red Golden. Lady Amherst genes are dominate over any of the various color variants of Golden pheasants.
Even amoung the crosses, you will see different, and various feather color variations but the Amherst phenotype is obvious.

It would phenotypically look like an Amherst x Red Golden. Lady Amherst genes are dominate over any of the various color variants of Golden pheasants.
Even amoung the crosses, you will see different, and various feather color variations but the Amherst phenotype is obvious.
So the red would still show up, even though the golden parent didn't have any?

So the red would still show up, even though the golden parent didn't have any?
Yellow goldens are a regular recessive mutation of the golden pheasant. In order for it to be expressed it needs to receive one copy of the yellow gene from both parents. Since Amhersts do not have any mutations a yellow golden bred to a amherst would default to the species wild coloration in the hybrid offspring.

Yellow goldens are a regular recessive mutation of the golden pheasant. In order for it to be expressed it needs to receive one copy of the yellow gene from both parents. Since Amhersts do not have any mutations a yellow golden bred to a amherst would default to the species wild coloration in the hybrid offspring.
Oh. That makes sense. But could they have yellow coloration in the hybrid if backcrossed? Then would that be a possible origin for some of the off-brand Golden Pheasant colorations, seeing it would be different from the normal Amherst-Golden Hybrid, If a chick received to Yellow Alleles?

Oh. That makes sense. But could they have yellow coloration in the hybrid if backcrossed? Then would that be a possible origin for some of the off-brand Golden Pheasant colorations, seeing it would be different from the normal Amherst-Golden Hybrid, If a chick received to Yellow Alleles?
I tried that cross breeding project many, many years ago...(I was 13)...I was hoping it would result in a dilute or a Yellow Amherst. Eventhough, the recessive genes are there, it still resulted in a cross that was phenotypically a Yellow Golden x Amherst bird (Looked like all the other Red Golden x Amherst crosses). The Amherst genes are just too dominate over the Goldens genes....I tried it both ways, male cross to a yellow hen...yellow male to a cross hen.

I was young and stupid, didn't understand genetics that well, most if not all of the birds I crossbred, turned out looking like a 3 year old had painted them! As an amateur fine art oil painter, I should have known that if you mix alot of different colors together you get mud! 🤣 :old
That's when I realized it was best to just raise pure birds.
Here's a few pics of an Amherst x Yellow Golden hen and a Amherst x Yellow Golden cock bird.
20200908_231738.jpg

20210616_075156.jpg
20210616_075133.jpg
20210616_075136.jpg

Last edited:
I tried that cross breeding project many, many years ago...(I was 13)...I was hoping it would result in a dilute or a Yellow Amherst. Eventhough, the recessive genes are there, it still resulted in a cross that was phenotypically a Yellow Golden x Amherst bird (Looked like all the other Red Golden x Amherst crosses). The Amherst genes are just too dominate over the Goldens genes....I tried it both ways, male cross to a yellow hen...yellow male to a cross hen.

I was young and stupid, didn't understand genetics that well, most if not all of the birds I crossbred, turned out looking like a 3 year old had painted them! As an amateur fine art oil painter, I should have known that if you mix alot of different colors together you get mud! 🤣 :old
That's when I realized it was best to just raise pure birds.
Here's a few pics of an Amherst x Yellow Golden hen.
View attachment 3171338View attachment 3171340View attachment 3171341
Okay, cool! Also, you've been breeding pheasants since you were 13?

Back
Top Bottom