What would a leghorn x welsummer look like

eggmanfromafghanistan

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
sheffield
i have a welsummer cockerel called kellogg. i usually breed welsummers but wondered what a welsummer/leghorn cross would look like as i want lots of eggs but hopefully quite dark
fl.gif

it would be great if someone could link/send a picture. thanks guys

It depends on what color your leghorns are. Assuming they are white, you would probably get white chickens that would lay a medium brown egg.

If you keep crossing back to the Welsummer for a few generations, you can likely darken the egg again, while perhaps retaining a bit of the laying ability.

BUT, the darkest eggs take 2-3 days to get "coated" with the brown color, so faster laying means less brown coating.

i have a welsummer cockerel called kellogg. i usually breed welsummers but wondered what a welsummer/leghorn cross would look like as i want lots of eggs but hopefully quite dark /img/smilies/fl.gif

it would be great if someone could link/send a picture. thanks guys

Did you make this cross happen? I have a feeling that's what I have in my newest batch of hatclings. Wondering what they end up looking like?

I recently accidentally bred a young gold welsummer cockerel with some white leghorns, 2 of the kids are white with one black feather, the other one looks really similar to a female gold/silver welsummer, they are about 3 weeks old now

Back
Top Bottom