What would be good to house with chickens to eat the grass?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by daniel-delarosa, Sep 29, 2012.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    I had this plan last year to expand my chicken run. It was only 25x25 and the chickens kept the grass down pretty good. I thought, "If I fence in more area, they will keep that 'mowed' too". I fenced in a 5000 square foot area for them. I guess that is too big cause the grass is growing like crazy. Im looking to get something that can share an area with them that eats grass, and not a goat, too noisy. Mini horse, mini donkey, lamb, sheep...Which one is the quietest and will eat the most grass?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    lamb and sheep are noisy, go with mini horse!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Uhh, hello---you just need more chickens!!!

Anyway, depends on what you're looking for. A pet? Something to butcher out later? Personally, I'm always looking for ways to get more meat so I'd put a lamb or even a calf out there (a calf you'd need a larger place eventually). I'm a horse person but detest mini horses, that could be a way for you to go if you're wanting a usuless pet lol.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    A horse would be the most quiet. All the others you mention make a lot more noise. Their hooves will really muddy up the place they stay the most often (usually around the feeder) so be prepared for that one. I'm an old horse person too. I've had ponies, horses, and burros. The burro or @$$ is the loudest of all your choices! Once they get wound up, wow.

5. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    What about a llama? It could provide some predator protection as well. Look for rescue operations. My brother just got a mother and daughter pair for free from a rescue place. I believe they're silent and I don't think their big, padded feet (think of a camel) would dig up the ground the way horse and sheep hooves do.

6. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    A donkey or burro would eat the grass and as long as you only have one, it would also provide great predator protection.

7. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    a horse would be the most quiet

8. rabidgoose

rabidgoose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Rabbits are what I use. They get along very well with the birds. Also, the dogs spend all day watching to make sure that they don't leave the pen. The bunnies know better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by