1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What would be your reaction if this happened to you?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lucky123, Apr 14, 2011.

1. lucky123

lucky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Cullman,Al
    I paid almost $200.00 for four hens and a rooster, spent 75.00 in gas, and spent six hours driving. I have had them three or four weeks now and have gotten a total of three eggs. My other hens are laying up a storm so, its not the feed or anything like that.I'm sure they made thousands of dollars in the last few years from eggs from these, and as soon as they quit laying they pawned them off on a sucker,me. I was told the reason they were selling them and it sure wasn't because they were to old to lay anymore. This is my take anyway. I don't know anyother way to look at it. What would be your reaction if this happened to you?

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I would calm down, take a breath and realize that chickens are finicky creatures and disturbing their environment, even a tiny bit, can cause them to stop laying. I moved a silkie from one pen to another 4 months ago, and she hasn't layed since. And, it isn't due to old age, she is only a year old.

Give it some time. They need to get adjusted and familiar to their new surroundings and feel safe there.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What breed are they? Do you have pictures? Have you contacted the seller to see what they have to say?

4. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I'd give them another couple of weeks. Sometimes I have had them take a few weeks to lay eggs after bringing new layers home. It's an adjustment for them and they are creatures of habit. Good luck -- I hope that what it is!

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    3 or 4 weeks isn't long, especially after being moved and in a new environment with new birds around them.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    give them more time..

7. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Totally agree. Relax and give it some time. What breed are they?

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I would be very concerned. I hate being the sucker, and spend an awful lot of energy trying to avoid situations where that might be the case... If I'd spent a zillion dollars on birds, and wasn't getting eggs, I'd be freaking out.. then I'd come here... then I'd read the responses from these smart men and women, and I'd take a breath, and wait another 3 weeks before freaking out again!

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    My husband bought my Bev Davis flock for me a month before he died. He died in July and they laid for almost a week and stopped. When through a very heavy moult and didn't start laying again until February.

I feel ya!!!!

10. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I've had chickens take 6 weeks to lay after a big move.

BUT..... I have also bought birds that never laid and the seller obviously knew it when he sold them. I wouldn't trust him to tell me the time of day... after he fooled me, twice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by