What would cause an egg to look like this?

We've been getting those lately too. I wondered about them myself. They are cool. I'm wondering if my customers are going to want to know why they are like that. Not sure what I'll say exactly, except that they are from a small homegrown flock and come with all kinds of character! My personal favorite are the spotted ones ... so pretty.
It would be cool to know the technical reason!! Thanks for asking ... I hope someone knows!
I'll stay tuned in to see what everyone says (I would insert one of those cute little smiley guys eating popcorn here but I can't figure out how! LOL)

Wow ... infectious bronchitis??? I really thought it was no big deal to have eggs like this. I agree it could just be a minor glitch but just in case ... what are the other symptoms of infectious bronchitis to look for and should we be eating those eggs or throwing them away? I'd hate to be selling or giving away eggs that could be a problem for others.

IB can run through a flock without huge symptoms sometimes. It's not the worst disease they can have and you can vaccinate against it. Just general "cold-like" symptoms can accompany it and wrinkled "paper bag" eggshells can also be a sign. Just one odd egg to me doesn't indicate that, however. I think they remain carriers, but somewhere read that it might be a limited time? Not sure.

From Welp Hatchery's Disease Chart:

Infectious Bronchitis
Virus
Airborne from infected flocks. Rapid onset.
Sneezing, coughing, watery eyes.
Flock symptoms may last 10-14 days.
Production drops, small or soft-shelled eggs.
Prevention--Vaccinate before lay if an important problem in your flock.
Treatment-None. Permanent problem​

Could it be a vitamin D deficiency? If that were the case the calcium absorbtion would be affected and might cause something like this.

The lady with 4 dogs and 4 city chickens

Sometimes I think it is just a personal quirk of a particular hen. I acquired a perfectly healthy barred rock who lays eggs like that at least once per month. I don't sell those eggs although I have eaten them myself. And I dont incubate those eggs when I am collecting for a hatch. Since she is growing older now she is already destined at this point for a stew pot or re-homing to a friend with endless acres. In this particular case I don;t think I want to eat the bird, jsut in case. So she will probably live out her days on my friend's endless acres of ranch land.

I think you already got good advise I just wanted to add that is a pretty neat looking egg though. You should blow out the center and make and ornament out of it.

Back
Top Bottom