What would cause this? Egg color

MN Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Minnesota
We have a crested cream legbar that lays eggs that are all over the map color wise...including this egg that was deep blue at the point, and white on the other end.

Her eggs have been olive green, spring green, blue, and almost white. What's the malfunction?
The blue one is hers

All 4 are hers

These are also all hers

The brown one is not hers. You must have other chickens. There are blue eggs and there are white eggs and there are white eggs that are coated brown. In turn there are also mixed breeds that are blue egg layers and carry the brown coating gene resulting in an olive egg.

The brown one is not hers. You must have other chickens. There are blue eggs and there are white eggs and there are white eggs that are coated brown. In turn there are also mixed breeds that are blue egg layers and carry the brown coating gene resulting in an olive egg.

I'm aware the brown is not hers, just the blue one in that photo is, as written. She lays blue, green, almost white (so pale colored it looks white), and the odd egg in the first photo.

I got one with a very blue end last week....from a blue/green laying EE, I think from one that is just coming back into lay.
Figured it was just a pigment glitch....can happen often with the coating, but shell pigment also.
I think you're almost white one is just very light blue.
Did you look at inside of shell, after peeling off inner membranes?

I got one with a very blue end last week....from a blue/green laying EE, I think from one that is just coming back into lay.
Figured it was just a pigment glitch....can happen often with the coating, but shell pigment also.
I think you're almost white one is just very light blue.
Did you look at inside of shell, after peeling off inner membranes?

Here is what the inside looks like. The pigment goes through the egg.

Back
Top Bottom