What would dig up long-dead chicken?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickenmaven, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I buried poor Cookie (a 2 y.o. hen) three weeks ago. She had been having oviduct problems, even passed something that looked like a rock... [​IMG]
    Imagine my alarm & disgust when I found her half-eaten carcass in the yard, yeaterday. Something had dug her up and eaten most of her torso. [​IMG] We live in a residential area. What would eat a body that had been dead for soooo long?

2. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    an opossum would.

but usually 'possums will drag the whole carcass back to their burrow and eat the whole thing (including the bones) there.

also, maybe a racoon or skunk would, or even a dog.

i have a dog that likes eating smelly things.... including dirty underwear! blehehhh [​IMG]

3. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    You have a dog, if so prob. him or her...

4. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    My first thought was a dog. They bury their bones and dig them up later for afterthought chewing.
    Mind you my dog revels in rolling in anything he finds dead and rotting - eau de doggie cologne!! [​IMG]

5. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    I would think it would be something from the dog family (dog, coyote, fox); but an oppossum could do it too

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  6. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    all i can say is ewwwww

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    It was horrible. [​IMG]
    The only strays we have around here are cats BTW.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I'm having problems keeping a turkey buried. My chickens keep digging it up & dragging it across the barn lot. I have to re-bury it in the morning & again in the evening.

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Possums do not usually work that hard for food lots of folks are really surprised when they find out the number of fox and yotes they have in and around their neighborhoods. It could be a dog as well. A dog a lot of time does not eat something disgusting and old they just roll in it and play with it a fox or yote that is hungry would eat it.

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I used to have a feral cat problem in my suburban area. One attacked my ducks one night and killed it. About two weeks later it was also dug up by a cat.

[​IMG] So sorry that you had to deal with burying her a second time... I cried for the whole day when it happened to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by