What would happen if a duck ate grain and didn't drink after that?

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
Hi
I know that duck tend to drink after eating dry food but i'd like to know if it'd be a serious danger for ducks health if it didn't drink and lets say went to the coop for night. Before closing the coop i always try to get them to drink (which they do) but what one duck gets pecked by other ducks and someitmes it takes time for them to finish so she can take a drink (and yesterday she even wanted to follow them to the coop without drinking).
Would she get sick or die if she didn't drink after eating and just went to the coop (theres no water in the coop).

I haven't had water inside my coops since we had chicks and ducklings. Once they are 5-6 weeks old they don't need water or food overnight.
Also place many buckets around with drinking water so no one gets bullied. My oldest Muscovy always waits until everyone is inside in the evening before she'll eat. And even though I am sitting and waiting for her to finish she'll eat and just go inside without drinking. It use to worry me but she has done this for many years not every evening but most and she is always fine in the morning and she is 14 now.

I haven't had water inside my coops since we had chicks and ducklings. Once they are 5-6 weeks old they don't need water or food overnight.
Also place many buckets around with drinking water so no one gets bullied. My oldest Muscovy always waits until everyone is inside in the evening before she'll eat. And even though I am sitting and waiting for her to finish she'll eat and just go inside without drinking. It use to worry me but she has done this for many years not every evening but most and she is always fine in the morning and she is 14 now.
there are other water bowls but she just wants to drink with the others and whats funny is that shes their biological mother but they were hatched under an incubator and broody hen. Dad does nothing about it but i can see them being 2 individual groups (youngs and parents). Also arent aggresive, more like biting the feathers.

Dads aren't involved in much when it comes to bullying unless of course, it's them doing it.

I have 2 separate groups too. Muscovy and Runners and Buffs. All are out together when let out but have to sleep in separate houses because my Runners pick on my old Muscovy when inside. And my muscovy drake hates my goose. And she now sleeps with the Runners since she lost her mate. This is not unusual for the younger to hang out as one flock and the older as one especially if the young ones weren't hatched under the adult females. Young upstarts are what I call them.

Back
Top Bottom